Windows 7 black screen with cursor

aui

Hi All,

I have Sony Vaio which is just 1 yr old. About a week before, I installed the latest updates windows 7. When I started the windows, I was able to log into the windows. But then, the system was very slow. So, I turned down the laptop. After that, a message appeared "A disk error occurred. Press Alt+Ctrl+Del". When I press it, the same message appeared. I tried to go from the safe mode and there is a blank scree with a cursor. I cannot do anything with the cursor. No right click. No task bar and even tried pressing shift 5 times. Every step leads me to the same screen. I even tried to get to the vaio recovery for setting it into the default factory settings. I searched the internet for a long time but couldn't find the solution. Please help !!!!

If you can get into safe mode the F8 key must be working, so do you have the option to "Repair your Computer" on that screen? If so, have you tried doing a Startup repair?

You may also see if you can run chkdsk for the Recovery Environment.

Do you have a recovery CD or an Install DVD?

Did the computer come with Win 7 installed?

Thanks for the reply. I have tried repairing the system and all variants of safe mode. It leads me to the same black screen. I have left the screen for almost 3 hrs. How can I run chkdsk because safe mode with command prompt also gives me the same screen.

I dont have install DVD right now because I didn't get when I purchases the system.

It can be hard to understand if you are not familiar with the system in question. On many, not all, Win 7 installs, you can get to the WinRE options using the F8 key where you can start a command prompt and run chkdsk. See Attachment.

If you do not have that option, possibly your owner's manual might explain how to get to such a situation. If not, you can download a repair CD and burn it so you can boot and enter the repair scenario that way. Check out NeoSmart Technologies for a download.

Back