black screen with mouse pointer after windows 7 installation

installed windows 7 ultimate(tried both 64 and 32 bit) to my pc. but after installation when it reboots for the 1st time, it shows a black screen with the mouse pointer. i waited 1/2 hour but no use.:frown:
my pc config
core2quad q6600, asus P5KVM, 2 gb ddr2 ram, nvidia 9600gt 512mb and 380 gb seagate hd
please can some1 help
also when i try to boot in safe mode it says that windows have to start normally for the first time.
i installed it over xp sp3 by formatting the c drive
i have reinstalled it atleast 6 times but no change.:confused:

installed windows 7 ultimate(tried both 64 and 32 bit) to my pc. but after installation when it reboots for the 1st time, it shows a black screen with the mouse pointer. i waited 1/2 hour but no use.:frown:
my pc config
core2quad q6600, asus P5KVM, 2 gb ddr2 ram, nvidia 9600gt 512mb and 380 gb seagate hd
please can some1 help
also when i try to boot in safe mode it says that windows have to start normally for the first time.
i installed it over xp sp3 by formatting the c drive
i have reinstalled it atleast 6 times but no change.:confused:
Have you tried installing from a USB? If you are having problems in X86 and X64, the common denominator may be the media you are using or the DVD drive.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
What type of display do you have? If you are using an HDMI output or something other that a DVI or VGA you might think about changing to check the output.

Can you get into safe mode by hitting F8? If so, try changing the video mode.

when i try to boot in safe mode it says that windows have to start normally for the first time.
and i have no idea about the HDMI, DVI or VGA. how do i check which one is which
pls help

when i try to boot in safe mode it says that windows have to start normally for the first time.
and i have no idea about the HDMI, DVI or VGA. how do i check which one is which
pls help
How old is your computer? Your video card (or video on motherboard) may not be compatible with Win7. If this is a desktop you might consider a cheap add-on PCI Video Card (not PCI Express).

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Some folks are hooking their systems up to TVs using an HDMI cable. That process seems to cause problems for some folks.

If you are connecting to a normal monitor, does it have a selection for what type of input it uses.

If you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, does anything show up, like taskmanager?

How old is your computer? Your video card (or video on motherboard) may not be compatible with Win7. If this is a desktop you might consider a cheap add-on PCI Video Card (not PCI Express).
i hve 9600gt installed 512 mb,
also my pc passed the windows 7 test quite easily

Some folks are hooking their systems up to TVs using an HDMI cable. That process seems to cause problems for some folks.

If you are connecting to a normal monitor, does it have a selection for what type of input it uses.

If you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, does anything show up, like taskmanager?
i connect to a normal monitor, and for input type it has two options "analog and digital"
when the black screen comes though the keyboard seems to be working but nothing happens when i hit CTRL+ALT+DEL.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.