Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by speeder, Aug 7, 2010.

  1. speeder

    speeder New Member

    Aug 7, 2010
    Likes Received:

    So I've Googled and didn't find my specific issue. Since purchasing the router(Asus RT-N13U) a month ago I've found it finicky with inconsistent Internet connections but tolerable.

    My big issue is that I design websites and I have a site I'm developing This router cannot access that site, I keep getting server not found in my browsers.
    I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with an AMD Phenom X4-965 cpu and Asus M4A77D motherboard.

    Being close to 60 my brain cells seem to be atrophying at a logarithmic rate :)
    However here is my troubleshooting protocol.

    I tried pinging the site but get "Ping request could not find host".
    Using trace route produced some odd results. It won't trace the primary domain name but will trace to a subdomain:

    Unable to resolve target system name


    Tracing route to []
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms my.router []
    2 7 ms 9 ms 7 ms
    3 11 ms 15 ms 14 ms []
    4 9 ms 14 ms 10 ms []
    5 12 ms 11 ms 9 ms
    6 10 ms 11 ms 9 ms []
    7 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms []
    8 22 ms 19 ms 21 ms []
    9 31 ms 31 ms 21 ms []
    10 69 ms 55 ms 59 ms []
    11 55 ms 57 ms 52 ms []
    12 57 ms 55 ms 66 ms []
    13 64 ms 53 ms 56 ms subdomain-of-my-fake-name-site []

    Trace complete."
    And even weirder although it won't trace in Command Prompt but I can trace it in
    However I can access the subdomain site?????????????????????

    If I give my browser the IP address of domain I can access the Apache intro page but no access if I use the domain name.
    I don't think this router likes my primary domain name!!!!!

    To eliminate OS issues I tried getting to the site using the OS independant SplashTop browser in Asus's ExpressGate:
    1. With the RT-N13U connected can't connect to
    2. With my LinkSys WRT54GL connects fine.
    3. With broadband modem cable to computer connects fine.

    The same results above happen when I access them in Windows 7.

    Installed 1.02 firmware, made sure that DHCP is enabled - also checked routers URL filters - hosts file is in original state - but still can't access
    I'm stumped!
    Any ideas?
  2. zennerd

    zennerd New Member

    Jan 31, 2010
    Likes Received:
    I ran into a similar issue last month. It turned out that the Web Hosting company had blacklisted my IP address because too many failed logins had come from it. I have several users that post content and 2 of them had saved the wrong passwords...again.

    Anyway, my trace did the same as yours and I could get to it from home, just not at work. Long story short, call the web host and ensure that you aren't blacklisted on their servers.

    Hope that is all it is!

    kind regards,

  3. speeder

    speeder New Member

    Aug 7, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Thanks for the reply but I don't think that is the issue as with my Linksys or NO router I can reach the site fine. Just can't do it with the RT-N12U.
    Glad you got your issue resolved.
  4. speeder

    speeder New Member

    Aug 7, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Well I changed my DNS servers from auto to manual and entered my ISP providers DNS server addresses. It worked for

    a couple of hours and now I am back not being able to connect to the site.
    I DON'T understand what kind of firmware programming would hang itself on a domain name!

Share This Page