Windows 7 Blank desktop with only a cursor - HELP

redhack

OK I've read a few people having this issue but none of the solutions have worked for me.

Issue: Blank (black) desktop upon logging in. The only things showing on the desktop is the cursor and the build info in the lower right. No icons, no taskbar.
I can launch programs via the task manager just fine. All programs seem to run fine. In safe mode, desktop and taskbar are visible.

Steps I've already taken:
- changing to standard VGA driver - no effect
- updating graphics card driver to Win 7 beta driver 0 no effect
- checking if system thinks I have two monitors - no effect
- the graphics card only has one output so I cant switch to another output

Here are specs for my rig:
-------------------------------
Windows 7 build: 7100
Motherboard:
Manufacturer : Intel - Product : 975X Bad Axe 2 - Model : D975XBX2 - Version : AAD53350-507
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Any help would be appreciated!

I am also experiencing the same problem but i am using the x32 version, I have tried reinstalling and nothing changed. all I see is a black screen, cursor, and the version information: Windows 7 Evaluation copy. Build 7100. :confused:

So I started up in safe mode and I there was a message box saying that the install could not complete in safe mode please restart.... so I did and I still have the same black screen.

Im trying to download a second copy and install that but Microsoft is making this very hard.

Edit:
by the way i am installing a fresh install not an upgrade.

I have now reached the product key page!! :) my screen was not loading because i had a second screen plugged into my machine. So i unplgged it restarted and bang.... progress. :)

Back
Top Bottom