blank screen... only mouse cursor visible

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by cirons, Mar 22, 2010.

1. cirons

cirons New Member

Lost power last night... so windows was not shut down properly. Upon startup, I lost some services - wireless, print services, some programs not running, etc... I went online to search for solutions. At some point I reached a 'windows validation' failure screen (in retrospect, some spyware/virus?), and followed suggestions to uninstall my last windows update. Upon restarting, I get past the 'windows is starting' flower, but then get a blank screen with the mouse cursor visible.

I have tried starting in safe mode, but get the blank screen and mouse cursor as before.
    I have tried windows recovery console, but can't get past the request for admin password (doesn't recognize the password).
    I have tried booting from disc - this worked - and I run startup recovery. No errors noted. I restart and get the blank screen with mouse cursor.

I'm running windows 7 home premium...

thank you for any help/suggestions.

2. usasma

usasma Fantastic Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Using Startup Repair - try the System Restore option.
    Set the computer back a week or two to see if that helps.

If not, then post back for more suggestions.

3. cirons

cirons New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I tried system restore and also image recovery... unfortunately, 'no restore points have been created...' I must not have done that since my win7 install a month back... neither one worked.

I have run hard drive diagnostics with no errors to this point...

4. usasma

usasma Fantastic Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

There's not much that can be done if System Restore isn't working.
    There are lot's of things to try - but in my experience I've found that they rarely accomplish anything useful.
    At work we try System Restore (and a virus removal in PE mode) - and if that doesn't fix it, then we wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows.