Windows 7 blue screen

wade

when i try to back up or copy anything to my portable harddrives which use USB ports, the system crashes and i get a blue screen saying "system dump" and also "display driver failed to install properly and the computer has shut down for protection?

I installed an updated driver for my Nvidia software and after it rebooted all my thousands of pictures were very orange. I had to restore the computer to a previous time to get the pictures back.

I dont understand why a display driver would have any affect on crashing windows 7 just because you tried to copy a file.

Help

Hi Wade,
can you list your system set up as well as did you upgrade or do a clean install. Plus apart from the graphic drivers, which you already mentioned, are your drivers and system bios up to date?

Try uploading the .dmp file under C:\windows\minidump directory

Also go to start > Run, and type eventvwr. Expand the Windows logs section under the application and system logs and look for red flag errors.

Post back with the EventID

Last edited:
I did an upgrade from Vista to 7 and thats when the problem started. Went to the website of Nvidia and got their latest driver and it did not work.
it says all my device drivers are up to date but ??? I have and HP with 8meg of ram and amd phenom x4 64 bit processor.
Sorry to say but i know nothing about bios. the computer was bought about two months before the publication of win 7 and i got a free upgrade which i now believe to be a mistake.

wade

Try uploading the .dmp file under C:\windows\minidump directory

Also go to start > Run, and type eventvwr. Expand the Windows logs section under the application and system logs and look for red flag errors.

Post back with the EventID

I crashed it yesterday morning and it has a code ID of 7016

wade

I did an upgrade from Vista to 7 and thats when the problem started. Went to the website of Nvidia and got their latest driver and it did not work.
it says all my device drivers are up to date but ??? I have and HP with 8meg of ram and amd phenom x4 64 bit processor.
Sorry to say but i know nothing about bios. the computer was bought about two months before the publication of win 7 and i got a free upgrade which i now believe to be a mistake.

wade

I would still check the bios. Even with new motherboards there may be several bios updates and you should always run with the latest version. If you post the model I'll check it out for you..

Can you boot into normal or Safe Mode? If you can get in, go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager and see if there are any red or yellow flags next to any entry. I would uninstall the Nvidia drivers from Program and Features and let Windows install it's own driver temporarily

Could you provide me with the Source of EventID 7106?

Back