Windows 7 Bluetooth

Richard Myers

Bluetooth....a great piece of technology but am I wrong in thinking it is more trouble that it is worth!

I purchased a new Bluetooth mouse yesterday to use with my Win7 laptop with a built in Bluetooth adaptor.

It took several attempt to get the mouse to connect to the computer and then the connection dropped after around 15 minutes. I made a few more attempts to reconnect without success.

The computer will find the device, the paring code is entered then Win7 goes through a process of installing drivers. After a minute or two this process is complete but as mentioned above it has only worked for a short period of time with the computer.

I have all Win7 updates installed. The Bluetooth drivers are up to date but I am at a loss as to what the problem could be!

Any ideas...

Thanks...

I'm not aware of any bluetooth mouse devices....just your standard wireless mice.

What's the make/model of the mouse you purchased?

I would suspect the mouse is the problem as well. I've never seen a mouse that claimed it was switchable between Bluetooth and wireless and suspect that may be part of the issue. I have 3 of these: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ncode=45-268245-2&WT.mc_id=US_datafeed_Google

There is a small delay at boot, maybe 20 seconds (not several minutes as whs described) while the Bluetooth connection is established but then the connection is solid.

I use a few different Bluetooth devices such as mouse, keyboard, headset, speakers and GPS. I also use it to do things like connect phone to laptop for file transfers. I find Bluetooth very useful and definitely worthwhile.

You have to consider that my device - the Asus Transformer - is not the fastest. I if I use it on my Dell XPS 8300 with a BT dongle, it is a lot faster.
It makes sense that it could take longer on lesser hardware but I have used Bluetooth mice on older dual-core Atom powered netbooks without it taking a full minute or more to connect. I would expect better performance from the Transformer.

Hmm, maybe I should search for the causes of delay. But since the Transformer is my wife's system, I do not get to use it too often, LOL. But you may be right. BT is a lot faster on my Nexus 7 and that is not really a powerhouse either. On the Nexus I use it for this keyboard.

Well...now it's working just perfect!

No idea what I did but it is very reliable and frees up a USB!

Thanks for the input!

Back