Windows 7 Boot Install Windows 7 from USB

Brian60

Ok, I am trying to boot from my flash drive and re-install windows 7 and I used the Windows 7 USB DVD download tool, I have the option to boot from the flash drive but when I do instead of loading windows and installing it, it comes up "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." I am using the ISO version of Windows that I purchased off of their website, so I do not have a cd...I searched for an hour on how to fix this with no prevail. Please help as my computer has been unusable for 2 days.

-Edit- I looked at a few peoples instructions and after formatting the device I see that people say to mount the ISO...since I used the tool which prepares the device and makes it bootable automatically...do I still need to mount it after the tool put all the files onto the flash drive? I assume that is part of the tools process and is covered? I also see about how you have to use bootsect and do something which again I though may be done by the tool..I found this info just now here- http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-installation-upgrade/2001-how-install-windows-7-usb-drive.html

Last edited:
Installing Windows 7 From USB help?

I used WIndows 7 USB DVD download tool to install my windows 7 iso onto my 4gb flash drive and after 2 days and hours of searching I am stuck with this error upon selecting the flash drive as primary boot device and booting. "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." I have the ISO version so I do not have a cd with windows 7 on it...and I am only reinstalling because of a new motherboard..but I ran into this problem and need urgent assistance because I havent had a computer in 2 days now..please tell me where I can find a solution or just tell me the solution. Sorry if I sound pushy...this has my nerves fried. :mad:

Re: Installing Windows 7 From USB help?

Also (my appoligies for double post last time I edited it deleted my entire thread and gave me an error...it may still be somewhere and if it is sorry moderators..) I read a few things about how after formatting the device you have to mount the windows iso...but I figured the tool did this for me because when the tool is finished it says that it is bootable and ready to go. Also, I saw something about bootsect and how you have to do something with it to make it bootable...but just like before I thought that the tool did that for me...and besides I can boot from the USB it just isnt fully booting, if that makes sense..

Grab the tool from here Microsoft Store Online and follow those instructions on that page for using it to get the ISO onto your USB drive.
Failing that use it to create a bootable DVD or just download and use ImgBurn to burn your ISO to DVD make sure you adjust the write speed to 4x, no faster.

Grab the tool from here Microsoft Store Online and follow those instructions on that page for using it to get the ISO onto your USB drive.
Failing that use it to create a bootable DVD or just download and use ImgBurn to burn your ISO to DVD make sure you adjust the write speed to 4x, no faster.
Could you clarify please? Im not making sense of anything you said...what tool? and I am using a USB flash drive...not a bootable DVD.

What program? Please specify...I am finding nothing in your reply to of any sense making for my situation (no disrespect intended) and also..im using a flash drive...why would I make a bootable dvd...and why would I mount the windows iso...I am putting it on the flash drive to put on my main computer, not this one. So I can not just install windows...simply because I do not want it on this pc...now do you see what I meant?

Ok, after looking around can someone just answer one single question. (Anyone?!) Can I make it so that my USB drive can boot my new install of windows on my other computer? On this computer I have windows XP, and on my main computer I have Windows 7. My main computer just got a new motherboard, and requires a new install of windows. I installed the new motherboard and when I put my usb stick into the computer and booted from it I got the error "Reboot and Select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and hit a key." After doing everything I could find and trying more than 10 times I get the same answer. Is this even possible to do? The Windows 7 usb dvd download tool did not do the job correctly. And I was going to do it manually but windows xp wont allow me to do so because it doesnt see my usb drive in diskpart which is part of the first step, how do I get around this and is it even possible. Please read this carefully and give me the straightest answer possible instead of answering with some unrelated statement that doesnt help me. I want to get this finished as I have not had my computer up and running in 2 days.

Mike just posted a video about this Link Removed - Invalid URL . See if that helps.
Joe

To use the downloaded iso file you must burn it to the device you are using for the installation (in your case the flash drive). Insert a formated flash drive, then right click the iso file and choose Burn Disk Image. Assuming a formated flash drive is inserted you should have an option to Burn to the flash drive. This will automatically make the flash drive bootable. Once the iso image has been burned to the flash drive, and assuming the flash drive is chosen in the Bios as a boot media, the installation should proceed.

How do you do this on xp? I am used to using windows 7 myself..but when I right click the iso it is in rar format...and has all the extract options but not burn. It is still an ISO but winrar is associated with ISO files and displays itself as usual.

Take the .rar extension off the file and just leave the .iso

Let us know where you are as far as the 3 steps needed to make a bootable flash drive.

Do you have anything in XP that will burn .iso files, like Nero or UltraISO?

Last edited:
I have moved and merged these thread that were previously ongoing in two different sub-forums.
Please refrain from cross posting as it results in mass confusion and unnecessary redundant comments and queries and is a violation of our Terms of Service.

Ok, after looking around can someone just answer one single question. (Anyone?!) Can I make it so that my USB drive can boot my new install of windows on my other computer? On this computer I have windows XP, and on my main computer I have Windows 7. My main computer just got a new motherboard, and requires a new install of windows. I installed the new motherboard and when I put my usb stick into the computer and booted from it I got the error "Reboot and Select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and hit a key." After doing everything I could find and trying more than 10 times I get the same answer. Is this even possible to do? The Windows 7 usb dvd download tool did not do the job correctly. And I was going to do it manually but windows xp wont allow me to do so because it doesnt see my usb drive in diskpart which is part of the first step, how do I get around this and is it even possible. Please read this carefully and give me the straightest answer possible instead of answering with some unrelated statement that doesnt help me. I want to get this finished as I have not had my computer up and running in 2 days.
I think it may be time to consider that there may be an issue with the USB thumb drive that you are using. Do you have another such device that you can attempt using the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool (which is what I linked to above and that page has the link for the tool, instructions on how to use it and some FAQs and troubleshooting questions and answers).
The problem you may be having regarding the ISO seeming to act like a compressed archive file like .rar or .zip, etc., is likely due to the fact that you have installed a third party compression handling software product and it is configured to be the default handler for .ISOs
The alternative suggestion regarding ImgBurn is still relevant if your current USB device continues to exhibit problems after "10 times". It's free and all you have to do is open it and use the interface to find your ISO and burn it at 4x to a writeable DVD.
Regards
Randy

EDIT: And yes, what you are attempting is not only possible but works very well. It would seem that you have run into a unique problem. It could be your thumb drive or it could be a problem with the ISO or even possibly a problem with the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. I have performed what you are attempting on many occasions without issue, although my thumb drives have been 8 and 16 gigs, I have not used a 4 gig device but from what I read that meets the minimum requirements.

Last edited:

Take the .rar extension off the file and just leave the .iso

Let us know where you are as far as the 3 steps needed to make a bootable flash drive.

Do you have anything in XP that will burn .iso files, like Nero or UltraISO?

I have UltraISO but I do not know how to use it..could anyone help me in using ultraiso to do this? At this point I am lost.

I have moved and merged these thread that were previously ongoing in two different sub-forums.
Please refrain from cross posting as it results in mass confusion and unnecessary redundant comments and queries and is a violation of our Terms of Service.

Thank you for merging them, but I already explained what happened with that..I edited my post and my message dissappeared and I could no longer see my post and thought it disappeared completely.

I think it may be time to consider that there may be an issue with the USB thumb drive that you are using. Do you have another such device that you can attempt using the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool (which is what I linked to above and that page has the link for the tool, instructions on how to use it and some FAQs and troubleshooting questions and answers).
The problem you may be having regarding the ISO seeming to act like a compressed archive file like .rar or .zip, etc., is likely due to the fact that you have installed a third party compression handling software product and it is configured to be the default handler for .ISOs
The alternative suggestion regarding ImgBurn is still relevant if your current USB device continues to exhibit problems after "10 times". It's free and all you have to do is open it and use the interface to find your ISO and burn it at 4x to a writeable DVD.
Regards
Randy

EDIT: And yes, what you are attempting is not only possible but works very well. It would seem that you have run into a unique problem. It could be your thumb drive or it could be a problem with the ISO or even possibly a problem with the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. I have performed what you are attempting on many occasions without issue, although my thumb drives have been 8 and 16 gigs, I have not used a 4 gig device but from what I read that meets the minimum requirements.

I tried it with 3 different drives all diferent brands but all 4gb. However, I am still completely lost and is there anyway you can further explain how I can do this on windows xp...since all the guides are how to do it on windows 7.
And just to make sure there is no confusing, This pc is Xp 32 bit. I am putting windows 7 64bit on my flash drive for my other computer which is already windows 7 64bit but needs a clean install.

The Tool can be used on XP to create the Bootable USB thumb drive as long as the XP machines meets the system requirements, if it doesn't I would expect an error, but perhaps it just fails in the production of creating the bootable media, not sure.
Does the XP machine you are using meet the system requirements for the Tool.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)

Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)

50MB of free space on your hard drive

DVD-R drive or 4GB removable USB flash drive
As well as the following;

FOR WINDOWS XP USERS

The following applications must be installed prior to installing the tool:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 must be installed. It can be downloaded here.
Microsoft Image Mastering API v2 must be installed. It can be downloaded here.
SOURCE: Microsoft Store Online

I have Service pack 3...which is one higher than listed but I am guessing that means sp2 or higher...and I am pretty sure I have the Image Mastering API v2 and framework...but not completely certain..can I have a link to reinstall those 2 just in case?

All the links are on the live page that I keep sourcing regarding the tool Microsoft Store Online
or individually
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Download: .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
On my computer I have Net Framework 1.1/2.0/3.0/3.5 all 4 of those....and when I went to install and gave me an error which is most likely because I already have 4 versions including 2.0 installed...as for the Master Imagering thing I installed it and when after a quick install it was done and over with...should it have had me reboot? Or maybe I can just ask the question: Should I reboot? Or should I just continue with the Windows 7 usb dvd download tool and tell you if it works this time?

I would probably use an 8 GB flash drive for x64. The instructions say at least 4 GB free space. The x64 .iso gets really close.

Trouble's link gives a lot of good information, as he has mentioned. Hopefully that will work for you.

Remember, you are trying to make an x64 usb version, but your XP is 32 bit, so if it has to run on XP it needs to be 32 not 64, even though the media produced will install x64..

Last edited:
Back