Windows 7 Boot issue

coolwalker

This may be easy for someone, but for me...I'm stumped.

I had xp pro 64 bit on my system then loaded Win7...all was fine at Boot time. Then my trial of xp pro was about to expire so I loaded another 64 bit xp on my 3rd partition. When I tried to Boot it automaticly went to the ltest version of xp pro and did not offer me the choice of Win7 or an Earlier version of Windows. I looked under "advanced" in Startup (r click computer, properties, startup/advanced) and it only shows the latest win64 bit os, not both. The Win7 is still there, however I can't get it to Boot anymore.

Is there something I can do to get the Boot to make the offer it had before of either Windows 7 or an earlier Version of Windows. I would greatly appreciate it as all our vacation photos are "locked" in the Win7 partition and I can't access them and I like to game on the Win7 because it has been giving me a much greater frame-rate for CODUO_MP. Please...some help if at all possible...OH...I did try something called BSD or BSP or something like that but it didn't load properly on the 64bit xp pro.

:(

I think the problem is that the old system has to be loaded first. Do some searching there is a boot manager utility that might help Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies . You maybe able to run windows 7 disk and select repair start up. Since you have valuable data to recover I'd wait for some more knowledgeable advice.
Joe

I think the problem is that the old system has to be loaded first. Do some searching there is a boot manager utility that might help Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies . You maybe able to run windows 7 disk and select repair start up. Since you have valuable data to recover I'd wait for some more knowledgeable advice.
Joe

I got easybcd, installed it and tried to set it properly. I rebooted but it still went directly to xp64 bit without giving me the option to have either win7 or "an earlier version" of windows...when I tried to load it again I got a completely blank bcd with an error message saying "easybcd cannot start process because a file name has not been provided"...now I am really stumped.

Easybcd won't run on XP without .Net framework 2.0. You would need to rewrite the mbr, the bootsector code, create bootmgr and the Boot folder containing bcd on the Active partition, and the correct bcd entries.

The easiest way is to run startup repair from the 7 dvd. It will take several runs.

You will then be able to boot 7, but not XP.

Add XP entry to 7 bcd via an elevated command prompt, like this:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d “XP”
bcdedit /set {ntldr} device boot
bcdedit /set {ntldr} path ntldr
bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

press enter after each command.

Or use Easybcd installed on 7 to do it.

First, on the main window, click Add/Remove Entries tab

1. Select in Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 in drop down.

2. Select the ACTIVE partition in Drive box ( probably the first partition containing the expiring XP Pro)

3. Click Add Entry.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Back