Windows 7 Boot Mgr. Entry after upgrade to win 7 pro

nitewulf

Honorable Member
I used an OEM full-version Windows 7 pro disk to do a clean install (not upgrade) over windows vista home premium. Everything is fine except now there are two lines in the boot manager. The first is Windows 7 and the second is Windows Vista Home
Premium (recovered). This computer was purchased from a system builder (Ibuypower), but as far as I know there was no hidden recovery partition. I've deleted windows.old and checked disk management and no "extra" partitions are visible.
I'm sure I can edit the boot manager to remove this second entry, but does anyone know why it is there? What does it mean by "recovered"?

If you want to know what it is doing, open an administrative command prompt and type bcdedit Then look and see which partition the entry is pointing to.

Thanks for the replies. Below is what the windows boot loader says. I'll just delete the entry in misconfig I guess.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {988eea98-f716-11dd-8e13-acc7b16b87c3}
displayorder {current}
{988eea97-f716-11dd-8e13-acc7b16b87c3}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {988eea9a-f716-11dd-8e13-acc7b16b87c3}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {988eea98-f716-11dd-8e13-acc7b16b87c3}
nx OptIn
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {988eea97-f716-11dd-8e13-acc7b16b87c3}
device boot
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)
osdevice boot
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {b887fdc2-f716-11dd-a228-806e6f6e6963}
C:\Windows\system32>

To be safe, you might want to ask the system builder about the entry, but it appears to just be an entry to reinstall Vista. If you did a Custom(clean) install of Vista, I do not know why it would be there unless some type of recovery partition is present.

If you decide to delete it, do as tblount suggests. You might want to keep a record of how it is set up, just in case.

There are also some hidden files, maybe 2, you might want to delete named $Windows.~BT, but check them first.

Saltgrass, I agree that there must be some files still on C drive. I'm not worried about that as it's a 1 TB drive and I have no intention of ever going back to Vista. I deleted the Vista boot entry using msconfig.

reghakr, I only received one "Reinstallation DVD". I'm surprised they didn't use a separate recovery partition, but as long as what's there doesn't conflict in any way with Windows 7 it's not a big deal.

I can't understand that one as your c: drive is not partitioned.

Is the K: drive and external drive?

If you right-click on the Computer icon on the desktop, choose properties.lick the Advanced System Settings,. click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery,,. what is the Default operating sister,m and is Vista listed here as well?

You could download EasyDCD and look trough the options there:

EasyBCD:

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

Not on mine,. I use GParted and create a 60 GB partition for Windows 7,. no 100 NB partition.

Yours is not default. Neither is his ... with no 100gb partition. I don't know how he evaded this... but somethin's not right.

"K" Drive is an external USB drive I use for additional storage. "Startup and Recovery" dropdown shows only Windows 7.
I'll play around with EasyBCD. I have installed Windows 7 on two other Vista machines and neither showed the extra Vista (recovered) entry in the boot loader. Thanks for all the help. Since I can't conceive of ever reinstalling Vista anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. My only concern was that leftover Vista recovery files might interact with Windows 7, but so far I've had no problems at all. That boot entry might just be an anomaly.

True,. But if it happened on my machine I'd have to find out why.

That's just the way I am

I don't give up easily

Back