Windows 7 Boot Problems!

butlerboy

Hi, i have recently installed a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate sp1 on my machine and it has problems every time it boots.

Everytime i start the machine it automatically goes into startup repair, does its repairs and then boots into the os fine. Once the machine is running the os it works perfectly but once the machine is down powered and turned on again it goes straight into the startup recovery..

If i just do a restart though once I'm in the os it does that fine, without the need of start-up recovery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is your op sys installed on drive C and is it the only operating system which is/has been installed on the system?

As Pat mentions, it sounds like your system is confused as to how it has to boot. If you have multiple hard drives, one may be set as primary without the required boot files and Windows has to search for the correct path.

If you have external drives, or multiple hard drives, it might be a good idea to use the snipping tool to take a picture of the Disk Managment window and post using the paperclip.

thanks for the replies!

The O/S is installed on the c drive. I used to have the machine dual booting windows 7 and xp but i reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled just windows 7.

The machine only has one 1tb hard drive which is just set as one partition.

thanks

Sounds like the problem is a hangover from your dual boot days. Have a look in control panel, admin tools, computer management, storage, disk management and look to see which drive is marked as boot, active. It should be drive C. If not right click on drive C and select "mark partition as active".

Sounds like the problem is a hangover from your dual boot days. Have a look in control panel, admin tools, computer management, storage, disk management and look to see which drive is marked as boot, active. It should be drive C. If not right click on drive C and select "mark partition as active".

I just checked and the c drive wasn't marked as active, i have since just done this so hopefully you have fixed my problem, thank you very much! :)

ok - now try a startup repair from F8. (you may need to boot from the Windows install dvd).

Back