Windows 7 Boot.wim Missing

Nickel

When I launch Windows 7 setup in the install disk, I always get this error:

Windows was unable to locate the required installation file [boot.wim]. Verify that the installation source is valid, and restart the installation.

Error code: 0x80070002

Where do I get this boot.wim file? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Where did you get your software? Did you burn the DVD yourself?

Yes, by the way I'm using the student download. However, I doubt that's the problem because when I click on the setup.exe and try to install there, it results in the same error. Any ideas? Where is boot.wim normally?

That file is in the Sources folder. If you used MagicISO to burn the DVD, you might have a problem something like that. I had to use UltraISO to burn a bootable and installlable DVD.

If you don't show the file in the sources folder, your download might be bad.

Last edited:
Like I said I don't think it's the DVD because the setup.exe in the expandedSetup results in the same error. I'm going to try re-downloading it again...hopefully I get a boot.wim this time...

Well, you asked where boot.wim was located..now be truthful, is that file in the sources folder you downloaded?

I just downloaded it again to make sure. I have no file named boot.wim...I have a boot folder.. Any ideas?

Last edited:
You do not have a boot.wim file in the sources folder. That is impossible as far as I know!

You should show a background_cli.bmp then the boot.wim file.

Wow that's strange. Here's a list of what I did, maybe you might see something I did wrong.
-First I opened DLMWin7HP32US and downloaded the Windows 7 Upgrade
-Then from that I got these files: setup1.box, setup2.box and Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x86
-I opened Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x86 and it started unloading the box...
-Then I got an error Unloading The Box - "An error was encountered. The specified path is invalid." (Maybe this has something to do with it.
-I clicked OK and the expandedSetup folder appeared on my screen.
-Then I used BitZipper to unzip Win7Setup.wim in the expandedSetup folder unzipping all the files into expandedSetup

Could that error have something to do with it? Does anything else look askew? Thanks.

I have the background_cli file and unfortunately it's the only one that starts with 'b'.

Maybe someone else could help better, but most folks I see have not needed to use BitZipper, just unboxed the two files. Many folks got the error message, but for most, the files unpacked in spite of it.

I have not gone through this process, so I can't get into specifics. Does the Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x86 have an entension? If you don't know, go to folder options and uncheck the hide extensions on known file types. It may not be a .box file.

You're right it's not a .box file.

Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x86.exe

However, under its properties description it says Windows Marketplace Box, which would make the error message make sense.

That's strange that people haven't had to unzip it. I wonder what I did wrong. Maybe the download I got from Microsoft in the first place is corrupt...

Last edited:
What happens if you double click the .exe file? Just in case, the other postings I have seen have not included an HP file of any type.

Ok this time I looked closer. When I double click Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x86.exe a loading window pops up that only loads a couple bars then results in an error. I took a picture really quick so here's what the window says. The title of the window is "Unloading the Box". Below the loading bar there is a directory. The error says
An error has encountered. The specified path is invalid.

So maybe my files aren't in the right directory or something. I don't know how though.

Last edited:
Ok I believe I have found a solution to my problem. I withheld on telling you something because I didn't think it was important. I am on a Mac using Parallels running Windows XP. The errors I've been receiving are because of a simple glitch in Parallels which I discovered.

If anyone else in my situation runs into the same problem, go to Virtual Machine, Configure..., and under Shared Profile uncheck the box Desktop to Desktop in Windows.

Thank you for your time and help Saltgrass.

That file is in the Sources folder. If you used MagicISO to burn the DVD, you might have a problem something like that. I had to use UltraISO to burn a bootable and installlable DVD.

If you don't show the file in the sources folder, your download might be bad.

How did you do that? It got too confusing for me to figure it out. I just built the iso and let unetbootin put the bootable stuff on the usb.

You do not have a boot.wim file in the sources folder. That is impossible as far as I know!

You should show a background_cli.bmp then the boot.wim file.

It's in the sources folder on the Insall disk... I've had to use it many times building a VHD.

I downloaded from digitalriver as I'm a student and went with student pricing.
I downloaded to an external hard drive.
I had the same problem of the boot.wim file not being here.
I copied the folder to my desktop and ran the Win7-7-P-Retail-EN-US-x86 exe.
I observed a TmpCD41.tmp folder created. It began "Preparing Setup1.box".
The program then errors out with an "unspecified error".
I went to the expandedSetup folder and ran setup there.
It then errors out letting me know the boot.vim is missing and to make sure it's a valid package.
I get an error message 0x80070002.
Thanks for any help with this!

Back
Top Bottom