Windows 7 Booting issue

Delfio2d2

Hi all.
I hope someone has the answer for this.

1) I installed Vista in the first partition of my hard disk
2) I installed Windows 7 in the second partition of my hard disk
3) Bootmgr and BCD directory are installed in the partition containing Vista. On booting I can choose perfectly.
Now the issue:
I want to format the partition containing Vista and make MBR run Bootmgr in the W7 partition

Maybe if I use FDISK to activate the second partition instead of the first one and then running Repair from the Windows 7 DVD?

Thank you in advance.

I think you can do that. I always advise people to use one partition and just get a backup hard drive. Reason being, if your partition tables get deleted or modified, you lose everything. Many tears have been shed over lost data when partition tables got corrupted. Expanding and modifying partitions should only be attempted when everything is securely backed up to another device.

I don't think there is much risk in just changing the active partition.

Solved

It worked.
Here´s what I did:
1) Booted from Windows 7 DVD. Opened console.
2) DISKPART to activate the second partition (Windows 7 partition) and rebooted from DVD again
3) BOOTREC /fixboot to write the boot sector of the Windows 7 partition (currently active)
4) BOOTREC /RebuildBcd to create Bcd in Windows 7 partition
5) Handcopy "bootmgr" file to Windows 7 partition root.

Cool :)

Regards.

I don't think that will work. There are a couple of other thing that need to be moved, as well as the boot manager. But if it does work - well done. This is the recommended method. Probably quicker to reinstall Windos 7 but:::

Download VistaBootPro from Link Removed due to 404 Error

Step I.
Start the Application. It'll redirect you to the BCD backup page. Click on browse to save a backup copy somehwre safe (NOT the windows Vista partition!) Call it something obvious (Backup)

4jut7a.jpg

Step II.
Go to the root directory or partition, of the drive where the BCD is installed (Your Vista partition?)

In Windows Explorer make sure you have in Tools->Folder Options-> View -> "show hidden files" & Uncheck "hide protected files (See picture below)
"
Copy
i. bootmgr
ii. BOOT (folder)

Paste these into the root directory of the drive where Windows 7 is installed.

It will give an error copying 2 file's i.e BCD and BCD.log, saying they are currently being used by another application. Skip these files

eis5xw.jpg

14smvsw.jpg

Step III.
Goto the folder where you backed up the BCD earlier( in step I.)
Rename the files like this (make another backup first).

xxx.bcd -> BCD
xxx.bcd.log -> BCD.LOG
xxx.bcd.log1 -> BCD.LOG1
xxx.bcd.log2 -> BCD.LOG2

Copy all these files and paste them into the C:\Boot folder, replacing all files.

Step IV.
Reboot, and, if needed, go into the Bios and change HDD Priority from Drive D: to Drive C:.
Boot up the Windows 7 DVD
Select repair my computer.
You should then be OK

It worked.
Here´s what I did:
1) Booted from Windows 7 DVD. Opened console.
2) DISKPART to activate the second partition (Windows 7 partition) and rebooted from DVD again
3) BOOTREC /fixboot to write the boot sector of the Windows 7 partition (currently active)
4) BOOTREC /RebuildBcd to create Bcd in Windows 7 partition
5) Handcopy "bootmgr" file to Windows 7 partition root.

Cool :)

Regards.

Glad it worked, but I don't think the bootrec commands were necessary. When windows 7 was installed it should have created the boot records. All you needed to do was reset the active partition ... i think.

Anyway, you should backup your bcd file.. the commands are in my blog or you can google them.

Sorry, I think perhaps I was posting, when you had already completed the job.
I,m impressed.
I,ve pasted your very quick method into my long list of how to's. It will be useful for passing on to others in trouble.

How did you arrive at the procedure? Perhaps you should be offering help on the site rather than asking for it - lol.

Back