Windows 7 booting problem

FROG5

I'm not skilled in repairing computers and I'm having a problem. My computer just won't start up. My fisrt problems starter three months ago,when the computer began to freeze while working with google chrome. After that, the windows 7 has been re-installed at least twice, but it did little help and freezes randomly. However today, it froze while I was watching a movie and after attemted restart just started start up repair. Afterwards, it said that it was successful even though it also said that it could not find the cause of the problem. I'm a bit desperate and googling does not help much. I would be really grateful for any help. I 'm sorry if my English is not great, I'm not a native speaker. Thank you.

...........after attemted restart just started start up repair. Afterwards, it said that it was successful even though it also said that it could not find the cause of the problem.....................

Before I start offering possible solution, I have one question:
Do you still have the issue you were having, i.e. computer freezing ?

...........after attemted restart just started start up repair. Afterwards, it said that it was successful even though it also said that it could not find the cause of the problem.....................

Before I start offering possible solution, I have one question:
Do you still have the issue you were having, i.e. computer freezing ?

Well, I can't really say. The computer used to freeze when I was doing some basic stuff- watching movie, browsing the Internet or so. I haven' installed any games since the last installation of windows. Since the computer won't start, I have no idea whether it would still freeze or not. It doesn't freeze the start-up repair, though.

Your system says " startup repair is successful ".
If that is the case, and if you don't have "computer freeze " anymore, then your problem is over.
What happened before is no longer relevant.

If you want a peace of mind, do the followings......
1. Run a full virus scan with the security program you have to make sure your machine is clean.
I recommend using Malwarebytes ( free edition ) to scan your system. Malwarebytes is one of the best in the business.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

2. Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. If any found, it will try to do repair.
Start button > in the search box, type cmd > to left, RIGHT click at cmd.exe > select Run As Administrator > Enter
at the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line......
sfc /scannow
press Enter > wait, it will take a while.

When it is done, it will give you one of the following reports.....( paraphrasing )
1. No integrity violation is found.
2. Found corrupt files and repair is successful.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If you want a peace of mind, do the followings......
1. Run a full virus scan with the security program you have to make sure your machine is clean.
I recommend using Malwarebytes ( free edition ) to scan your system. Malwarebytes is one of the best in the business.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

2. Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. If any found, it will try to do repair.
Start button > in the search box, type cmd > to left, RIGHT click at cmd.exe > select Run As Administrator > Enter
at the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line......
sfc /scannow
press Enter > wait, it will take a while.

When it is done, it will give you one of the following reports.....( paraphrasing )
1. No integrity violation is found.
2. Found corrupt files and repair is successful.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

I haven't explained it well enough. It says that the start up repair was successful, but it still won't start. The computer restarts and does not boot, so it runs the start up repair again and again says it was successful, even though it obviously wasn't. That is tje prpbl. I think that the recovery might help, but only temporarily. It has happened three times in last three months and I guess the problem is somewhere else. Like I said, I use the computer for basic stuff..internet, stuff for school. I quit playing games just to be safe. The laptop is basically new, it was bought last December,

If the laptop was bought last December, it should have warranty. It covers the problems unless they perhaps came from "entering dangerous zones", and even in those cases, most sellers are helpful. Thus, take it to service. It may well be a hardware problem, and I don't usually see the need for or purpose to fight with that, if you have the possibility to fix it through professional help.

Windows repair tools often work, often they don't work.

I think I will try the warranty then. My dad told me that it is a software problem and that the warranty does not cover it, but I think the problem is somewhere else, so I'll definitely try it.
Thanks for your help.

The warranty is probably a good idea.

Could you tell us exactly what happens when you try to boot? Does it stop at some particular point, or give some message?

When you reinstalled Windows 7, exactly how did you do that--a factory reset, or were you able to clean the hard drive and reinstall, and with what type of install media?

Like I said, when I try to turn it on, it boots for a while, the Microsoft logo shows and then it stops and then a some a kind of bar pops up saying "windows is loading files"
Afterwards, it runs the start-up repair. When it finishes the start up repair, a window pops up saying that it was successful, but the root of the problem was not found. I find it a little bit strange. Anyway, it says to press "finish". After that two things will happen, it either shuts down or restarts itself and that's how it goes in some kind of a loop. I was not the one to reinstall the windows, but my dad just told me that he had done a recovery through some recovery CDs and the computer is in some kind of a virgin state and should be like brand new.

What that would seem to indicate is the files are being loaded into memory, but when it tries to access the Hard Drive, it is having a problem. If it doesn't complete the loading files phase, it might be a memory problem.

You can run both Chkdsk and Memtest from offline. Memtest is probably one of the F8 boot options and Chkdsk can be run from a Command Prompt-another F8 option.

Edit: I am not putting in the links after the chkdsk and memtest, so disregard those.

What that would seem to indicate is the files are being loaded into memory, but when it tries to access the Hard Drive, it is having a problem. If it doesn't complete the loading files phase, it might be a memory problem.

You can run both Chkdsk and Memtest from offline. Memtest is probably one of the F8 boot options and Chkdsk can be run from a Command Prompt-another F8 option.

Edit: I am not putting in the links after the chkdsk and memtest, so disregard those.

I ran the Memory Diagnostics something (I am not sure whether it's the same thing you recommended or not) and it showed no problem. It was supposed to restart the computer after that and it did. The same story again...windows is loading files, the start up repair and shutting down. I was thinking about trying the lenovo on call support whether the problem I'm having is covered by the warranty or not.

The Startup Repair should give you an option "Use restore point", or what the exact wording was. Click that. Then, it should do its business and report, "If repair was successful, Windows will start normally".

If it doesn't start normally... it won't. The problem can actually be almost anything, starting with a faulty battery. Most problems with new computers appear very soon - if it runs well for a year, it may well run for ten years. I suspect some sort of hardware issue, and they are very difficult to solve without proper test programs, or even physical meters, something we can't really offer here.

The only thing I can think of is, if you have changed BIOS settings, bring them to default. And, even if you haven't changed them, you might try to trick the computer > go to BIOS > Set safe default values. Then choose "Save New Settings and restart" --- the wordings may differ.

Besides, your English isn't that bad! ;)

Back