Windows 7 Bootmgr is missing....at my wits ends

MogRules

Hello all, sorry for yet another post on this subject but I have tried all the other ones to no avail....so I installed Windows 7 way back during the beta and right from the get go have had this problem. I install fine and get into windows then take out the DVD and low and behold bootmgr is missing yada yada yada....put the DVD back in and it loads just fine. System specs are as follows...
Asus A8N-E
AMD A64 X2 3800+ 939
SAMSUNG 3Gigs DDR RAM PC 3200
WD 200 GB SATA Primary (windows is installed here)
160 GB Slave IDE for storage

I have tried thus far running the repair option and getting no results from that, according to the repair options there is nothing wrong. I have tried removing the storage drive altogether thinking that it might be looking at the wrong drive and got the same Bootmgr is missing message. I looked inside diskmgmt and the primary drive IS set with the boot option....not sure where else to go with this. I installed with a clean format and I do not using dual OS's.

There ya go, I hope :)

PS..You can ignore the H drive that is my blackberry and not always there.

what drive do you have set in your BIOS to boot drive 0 or drive 1
your boot drive is 1

Last edited:
I see the boot manager on C:, but yor OS is on F: ?
I would suggest the quick way out of this is to download Easybcd and useits facilities to rewrite the boot manager in C:

It appears you previously Or currently have an OS on F: because it's marked as active and system. The first active partition is where windows installs bootmanager making it the system partition.Startup repair thinks that if it moves bootmanager it's going to hose the OS on F:. The above application will probably work DaveHC seems to know his stuff but unfortunately i can offer no instruction as to it's use if you post back dave may notice and be able to clarify or it may be self explanatory. If you can use Discmanager to unmark F: as active startup repair may then recognize the problem normally you would do this in the boot tab of msconfig but it knows there is no OS on F: so it's not listed. You basically have to lose the active and system marks on F: so startup repair will recognize a problem last resort prior to reinstall would be to backup F: and reformat F: (probably using linux live CD or some type of bootable partition manager) then you will be in a no boot situation that startup repair can repair it may take a couple of passes. Post back your results before you try the next technique as they do become more dangerous as we go.

It appears you previously Or currently have an OS on F: because it's marked as active and system. The first active partition is where windows installs bootmanager making it the system partition.Startup repair thinks that if it moves bootmanager it's going to hose the OS on F:. The above application will probably work DaveHC seems to know his stuff but unfortunately i can offer no instruction as to it's use if you post back dave may notice and be able to clarify or it may be self explanatory. If you can use Discmanager to unmark F: as active startup repair may then recognize the problem normally you would do this in the boot tab of msconfig but it knows there is no OS on F: so it's not listed. You basically have to lose the active and system marks on F: so startup repair will recognize a problem last resort prior to reinstall would be to backup F: and reformat F: (probably using linux live CD or some type of bootable partition manager) then you will be in a no boot situation that startup repair can repair it may take a couple of passes. Post back your results before you try the next technique as they do become more dangerous as we go.

How would I use Diskmanager to do that? I can not seem to find a way to edit the stats on the drive in there....

Hi Mog,

Disk Management doesn't give the option to mark a partition inactive.

Your best bet is to go into Bios and make sure Disk 1 is first in HD boot order.

Then try startup repair - 4 or 5 runs may be needed.

Went into the bios but no options to specify which Hard Drive I wanted to boot from first so I did the next best thing, unplugged the IDE drive and then ran the repair utility (dunno why I did not think of that sooner) and that did it right away, it found the problem fixed it and I am up and running properly again :) thank you all for your assistance, I appreciate it!

Hi Mog,

Disconnecting the drive has the same effect - as you found out.

If you get the same problem when you reconnect the storage drive, swap them around.

Plug the lead from your 7 drive into the motherboard socket that the storage drive was originally in , and the Storage drive into the one 7 drive was originally in.

Great you got it working:D

I had the same problem you had that is why i said to check your BIOS for boot order , Glad you got it fixed

Hi Mog,

Disconnecting the drive has the same effect - as you found out.

If you get the same problem when you reconnect the storage drive, swap them around.

Plug the lead from your 7 drive into the motherboard socket that the storage drive was originally in , and the Storage drive into the one 7 drive was originally in.

Great you got it working:D

I would try that if I had anymore problems but unfortunatly the Storage drive that the system thought was the boot drive is an IDE drive while the Main Windows 7 drive is an ATA....so I can not really just switch them up :S

Luckily everything worked out just fine :) thanks again.

If you are doing this and get a missing boot manager put your W-7 disc in machine if yo are trying to boot into W7 and set boot order to boot from CD ROM first then do a repair after you get past the first set up screen asking for you language. This will repair the boot manager

Back
Top Bottom