Windows 7 Bootmgr is missing error Does not respond to any treatment!

anugrah1987

Hi!

I'll jump straight to the point, I had windows 7 installed for a long time, today all of a sudden the PC crashed and I'm getting the Bootmgr is missing error at startup. I can't press F8 etc., only BIOS setup works. Since I don't use a DVD for reinstall, I used a USB installation, made it primary boot and went to windows setup. Now:

1. I tried Automatic Repair, it shows no problems and asks if camera etc. are attached.
2. I tried Command bootrec, it shows 0 installations even though at the start of the screen where it says select installation to repair it showed the installed windows.
3.When I tried renaming the boot file in c: in order to make a new one, it said file not found.
4. I have no system restore points.
5. I then tried a fresh Install over my primary partition. It's a 50 gb partition, the other being 450 gb for data.
It saved the existing windows into one file and installed new windows. But on the first restart, it again gave bootmgr is missing.
6. I again switched to usb and installed windows after formatting the partition completely and also tried installing on a new partition. In both cases, when i make the respective hard drives 1st boot, they still give bootmgr missing.

I've used this usb and windows to reinstall before so it probably isn't that. Also, now that i've repeatedly formatted/reinstalled windows, when I go to repair it shows me all the 7-8 installations while there's only 1 in actuality.

Please help me, I'm at wit's end and I have an important presentation to make. It's on my SATA harddrive and I'm using my laptop to fix the PC. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated much! Thankyou!

Anugrah

If you are getting a Bootmgr is missing message, the system is unable to find or read the bootmgr on the first active partition it comes to during boot.

The file might have become corrupted, you may have an active partition listed prior to the system partition. You just have one hard drive on your PC and it has only 2 partitions?

The recommended command for a Bootmgr problem is the bootrec /fixboot command. But since you have reinstalled, that should have fixed the problem, unless something strange is going on, or the drive is failing. Have you done anything to your system lately? Added a hard drive or changed something in the bios?

You comment about seeing several windows installations during a repair attempt makes me wonder if you have ever really formatted the partition, or it is seeing the files you copied.

Also, if you use the flash drive to install, you might try removing it during the first reboot, after the windows files have been copied.

If you are getting a Bootmgr is missing message, the system is unable to find or read the bootmgr on the first active partition it comes to during boot.

The file might have become corrupted, you may have an active partition listed prior to the system partition. You just have one hard drive on your PC and it has only 2 partitions?

The recommended command for a Bootmgr problem is the bootrec /fixboot command. But since you have reinstalled, that should have fixed the problem, unless something strange is going on, or the drive is failing. Have you done anything to your system lately? Added a hard drive or changed something in the bios?

You comment about seeing several windows installations during a repair attempt makes me wonder if you have ever really formatted the partition, or it is seeing the files you copied.

Also, if you use the flash drive to install, you might try removing it during the first reboot, after the windows files have been copied.

I have 2 SATA and 1 IDE HDD; a 500 gb sata being the primary with 2 partitions, one with windows installed in it. The remaining 1000gb and 80gb ide are data drives. But I saw when I was installing, it showed the 50 gb partition as well as the 80 gb ide as primary and remaining two as system. I also tried the bootrec commands but they showed no installations or files.
Latest development: The 1000 GB sata has suddenly since this morning stopped being recognized in BIOS, I found out that it's red connector cable is faulty as upon switching with 500 gb one it didn't work. But the cable doesn't affect the windows partition as it's on the 500 gb drive. I removed all the drives and just connected the 500 gb one with the good cable and still it shows bootmgr error. I'm at a loss :(

When you install Windows with multiple drives, the boot files may not have been placed where you would think.

You could try reinstalling now to see if it would take. If you do not want to reinstall, you could try looking at the drive with either Diskpart from the command prompt to verify the configuration, or download and burn a third party Disk Management software like Partition Wizard. Burn it and boot to it to look at the drive configuration. If you could get some type of picture of the configuration, that might help.

Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to manage partition directly with partition manager bootable CD.

Possibly the active partition was on the drive that had the bad cable. Now, the other drive does not have the boot system on it, but just guessing. Maybe replacing the SATA cable would solve the problems. If the second drive did have the boot files, you would want to set it primary in the bios. I suppose the IDE drive could be involved, but best to get your system set up with the entire Windows install on one drive.

When you install Windows with multiple drives, the boot files may not have been placed where you would think.

You could try reinstalling now to see if it would take. If you do not want to reinstall, you could try looking at the drive with either Diskpart from the command prompt to verify the configuration, or download and burn a third party Disk Management software like Partition Wizard. Burn it and boot to it to look at the drive configuration. If you could get some type of picture of the configuration, that might help.

Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to manage partition directly with partition manager bootable CD.

Possibly the active partition was on the drive that had the bad cable. Now, the other drive does not have the boot system on it, but just guessing. Maybe replacing the SATA cable would solve the problems. If the second drive did have the boot files, you would want to set it primary in the bios. I suppose the IDE drive could be involved, but best to get your system set up with the entire Windows install on one drive.

It worked!! Thank you so much my man :D
I removed the other hard drives and then reinstalled windows on the 500 gb one and it took! After that, i reattached the other two hard drives and everything's fine now! (had to reinstall all the software, but small price to pay)

Thank you :)

Back