Windows 7 Bootmgr is missing message when trying to install windows 7

datagopherdan

I am trying to install Windows 7 on a laptop that previously had Vista that would not start. I deleted the partition and formatted the C:. Now when I place the Windows 7 disk in during the boot, it will start reading from it and then the below message will be displayed

BOOTMGR is missining
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Does anyone know how to fix this? I can't even get to DOS now.

I suppose two questions to start. Are you getting the "Hit any key to boot to DVD" message, and where did the Windows 7 Install DVD come from?

What model laptop is it, and did it have an OEM type recovery system?

I suppose two questions to start. Are you getting the "Hit any key to boot to DVD" message, and where did the Windows 7 Install DVD come from?

What model laptop is it, and did it have an OEM type recovery system?

It goes right to trying to read the disk. I've tried shifting the boot sequence around too. I have a MSDN subscription where I can download the operating systems directly from Microsoft. I've tried 2 different downloads of operating systems and I get the message with both. I've never had any problems in the past installing the OSs that I got from MSDN.

As far as the mode, it's an ACER Aspire 6330. With this computer, it did not come with the disks. It had instructions on creating a backup disk, so that's not an option.

I sounds like the downloads, or the Burns are not working correctly. I suppose the usual suggestions are in or order for using a slow burn speed, and good Media.

You might also try downloading the .iso for the following location and of course check your bit version.

Do you believe the problem with Vista is in any way relevant?

Link Removed - Not Found

There are some DVD players that have problems with Windows 7. If you were running Vista, they should be about the same, but you might think about using the flash drive installation if you can't get the system to read the DVD your burn.

Last edited:
I sounds like the downloads, or the Burns are not working correctly. I suppose the usual suggestions are in or order for using a slow burn speed, and good Media.

You might also try downloading the .iso for the following location and of course check your bit version.

Do you believe the problem with Vista is in any way relevant?

Link Removed - Not Found

There are some DVD players that have problems with Windows 7. If you were running Vista, they should be about the same, but you might think about using the flash drive installation if you can't get the system to read the DVD your burn.

Thanks for the suggestion but it's definitely not that. The disk reads fine from other computers. Even if I remove the disk, the same error occurs. I have heard in passing about a problem with bootmgr, I just don't know what the resolution is.

If you boot to the DVD, you should not get a bootmgr message. It should give the Windows loading files black page followed with the Pick a Language window.

If you are not getting that, make sure the DVD is listed first in the boot options, or select it using a Boot to key such as F 12 or whatever.

If the DVD is good and the Drive is good, then possibly there is some problem with the internal connections. But basically, the system is not being directed to the correct location for the boot sequence. If you have other external drives, remove them just in case they are booting instead of the DVD.

Verify the SHA1 and MD5 checks for these discs, or try using them in other systems to determine that they are not coasters. Try other bootable media to see if they are capable of loading on the system in question. When the boot process for the Windows 7 installation media begins, simply follow the boot prompt by pressing any key to continue. If this process never initialized, as you indicate, check the discs and boot order for consistency.

Back