Windows 7 BOOTMGR is missing; windows cd startup repair does nothing

Dustin Timblin

I've also tried the commandprompt trick on here to no avail either. Strangely, whenever the Windows CD is in my CD-ROM, it starts up fine and works. However, I will go to work and come back after having left it on and it will be back to the BOOTMGR is missing screen inevitably by the time I get back, so I don't know long it stays working with the windows 7 CD in.

Any alternate ideas OTHER THAN the startup repair and commandprompt suggestions offered on here? Would a clean re-install of windows 7 do it? I would prefer not to but it isn't out of the question. I am something of a computer novice, but as best as I can tell, I have a Corsair SSD with windows installed on it, and a separate regular old HDD from Seagate for storage of media. Please let me know any solutions you have.

If you get a Bootmgr is missing message, the boot is not being directed toward the proper boot device. Is the SSD always recognized in the Bios or could it be dropping out of the available boot options list?

Are both drives SATA?

Do you have the Install Media you could boot to? If not, you might try downloading a Windows 7 DVD with SP1 included. Then boot to it and run the Startup Repair from the options. And it may take several tries. But if the indication continues to happen, possibly your boot device is not stable or being corrupted.

I will assume you are using a MBR configured system and not related to UEFI?

Link Removed - Not Found

If you get a Bootmgr is missing message, the boot is not being directed toward the proper boot device. Is the SSD always recognized in the Bios or could it be dropping out of the available boot options list?

Are both drives SATA?

Do you have the Install Media you could boot to? If not, you might try downloading a Windows 7 DVD with SP1 included. Then boot to it and run the Startup Repair from the options. And it may take several tries. But if the indication continues to happen, possibly your boot device is not stable or being corrupted.

I will assume you are using a MBR configured system and not related to UEFI?

Link Removed - Not Found

Both hard drives are SATA. I'm not sure what you're asking - did you read the OP? I have the Windows Install CD - in fact that's the whole point - none of the other advice on this topic has worked for me. Startup Repair, Command Prompt, System Restore, all do not work. My computer will turn on and work normally for a couple hours if the install disc is in the CD-ROM drive, but eventually it will freeze and go back to the bootmgr is missing screen. If the install disc is not in the CD-ROM, it won't load windows at all. I do not know what UEFI/MBR is.

Yes, the SSD does show up in the BIOS and boot priority stuff.

If you have the win DVD you could try an inplace install.

As always make sure before you do this that you back up all your important data!

Boot to windows destop
Open the DVD drive and close it
You should come up with the install windows menu
From there you can do an inplace install which will not affect your data or programs

If you have the win DVD you could try an inplace install.

As always make sure before you do this that you back up all your important data!

Boot to windows destop
Open the DVD drive and close it
You should come up with the install windows menu
From there you can do an inplace install which will not affect your data or programs

how is this any different from just a clean re-install of windows?

how is this any different from just a clean re-install of windows?

You won't have to reinstall all your programs and data, this type of install does not format the disk.

If you are more comfortable doing a clean install by all means do it. I just know when I do a clean install it takes me 3 days to reinstall all my programs.

You won't have to reinstall all your programs and data, this type of install does not format the disk.

If you are more comfortable doing a clean install by all means do it. I just know when I do a clean install it takes me 3 days to reinstall all my programs.

Ok, I did the install you suggested above and it did not work. Would it make a difference to try a full reinstall (booting from the CD at startup as opposed to from the desktop) before I throw my hands up in the air and take it to a professional?

Well if you say it didn't help or do you mean it would not work.

If it didn't help you could have a problem with the SSD.

If it didn't work than I guess you'll have to try the full install.

After this I at a loss for any other suggestions.

Back