Windows 7 bootmgr missing

i am using dell studio 15 which came preinstalled with windows 7 (64 bit). i did not receive any installation cd except fr the dell drivers cd. it ran fine for quite a few months, when suddenly, out of the blue, i got the msg : BOOTMGR IS MISSING. Press CTRl-Alt-Delete to restart. It didn't help even after i restarted MANY times :(. i made a Windows 7 64-bit Repair disc, which didnt help either because the laptop wouldn't boot from the cd. I am neither able to enter the setup (by hitting F2) nor the Boot options (F12) to modify boot order.

What do i do now?? Pl help..........

Thanks in advance

it doesnt respond whatsoever despite jabbing fn+F2 continuously... and the screen just freezes when i press fn+F12, only to continue to the same loop when i hit Esc

P.S: there's only 1 OS in the laptop. I did some hard disk partitioning yesterday to create an extended drive of abt 250 GB, leaving about 200 GB for C:\ drive, where the OS is installed, and marked C: drive as active.. Just wondering, could this have done something to the Bootmgr? And if it did, what is the way out?

Last edited:
it doesnt respond whatsoever despite jabbing fn+F2 continuously... and the screen just freezes when i press fn+F12, only to continue to the same loop when i hit Esc

P.S: there's only 1 OS in the laptop. I did some hard disk partitioning yesterday to create an extended drive of abt 250 GB, leaving about 200 GB for C:\ drive, where the OS is installed, and marked C: drive as active.. Just wondering, could this have done something to the Bootmgr? And if it did, what is the way out?

sounds more like this problem has occurred not so much suddenly out of the blue as "after some partitioning" and without the ability to run a cd I am not aware of anything you can do to recover your system ?

Assuming the hard drive hasn't failed getting into the boot sequence in BIOS is something you need to solve ?

I just figured it out after what felt like hours of persistent trying... it worked "without" pressing 'fn' key. i accidentally pressed just the f12..and it was able to boot from the cd... Strange!

And yes, the problem was fixed using the recovery disc.'

PS: i have done this Hard Disk partitioning thing once before, and there were absolutely no problems then, and therefore didnt quite think it would be the culprit this time.

Back