Windows 7 bootmgr missing

damoose

hello, i cannot get into my computer in the startup i get the "bootmgr is missing" error and can't do anything.
I have tried booting from the disc which does not work.
P.S W7 is the only operating system on my computer

What is your computer configuration?
Do you have any partitions, more than one hard disk?

As stated previously, your compy's specs would help us diagnose your problem a little better.. ;) Also, I see you said you tried booting off of the disc.. which disc? The windows 7 disc? If it was in fact the Win 7 disc than perhaps try booting off of your previous OS disc and see if your able to get anywhere that way. Also, are you able to get into your bios at all?...

i just repaired my computer by loading the iso disc. it take a while to load 3-4 mins then click repair computer and follow the instructions. i had to run it twice and the second time i got a repair screen and clicked repair startup. it repaired and the booted. hope this helps

It is important to know the information we have asked for. Otherwise we can ramble on forever guessing the fault!

computer specs

my computer has asus m2n-mx se plus mobo 2 gb ram amd 5400 plus dual prossesor 2 seagate hdd 1, 80gb has windows7 2, 250 gb has vista home premium. what caused the prob i dont know but to fix it use the repair feature on the iso install disc of wondows 7 by putting disc in dvd drive and restart and as i said it takes a while to load hope this is what you were asking for good luck :)

did you create a dual boot with the windows 7 disc or did you unplug the vista drive while you were installing windows 7?

if you had the vista drive installed whilst you were installing windows 7 its possible the bootmanager was placed on that drive so when you are trying to use just the windows 7 drive there is no boot manager hence the error.

have you changed the boot priority or changed any cables around between the two hard drives?
what happens when you plug in only the vista drive? windows 7?

2 hard drives

i unplugged the vista drive and installed 7 the shut down and hooked up the vista drive i can unhook either sata drive and puter will boot or go to bios boot settings and choose the hhd i want to boot i did not do anything special i beleive this will only work on 2 sata drives i dont dual boot but choose whick drive i boot:)

Same Problem

hey all,

i have the same problem. I instaled win 7 X64, after i was formating(not quick format) my hard drive, i canceld it since i had to go, and now when i set pc on i get the error "bootmgr is missing" could it be the problem that i canceld the format of the HDD? Or is it something els? I also inserted the windows 7 instal disc, but it doesnt boot from it. I didnt check the bios yet, but then again in 1ste time i didnt do anything in bios either and back then it dit normal installed win7.

PC specs: CPU i7 940, GA EX58 Extreme, gforce GTX280, 6GB DDR3, Windows 7 X64

Note its a new pc, no other OS systems are on it, it its not so easy to change i will try to find a way so i can reinstall win7 but what ive tryed to far, didnt work.

Thanks in advance

i checked the bios setup and enabled USB keybord/mouse and also changed boot from dvd, so i can boot from the win7 dvd. I can pick Repair or instal, atm im trying repair to see what it gives.

Thing i realise now when i 1ste installed win7 i didnt format the C(1ste) HDD nor dit i make a partition, i simply said ok pick NR1. Thats also somehing i could do.

For now im waiting if he can repair it. (not sure if this was clear but i was formating my 2nd HDD and canceld it, not the 1ste)

Edit: Repair failed(its saying i need to repair again lol) so im gonna try install win 7 again, and tell he needs to format the 1ste HDD.

Last edited:
Fixed it i think

Thanks for the help guys, think i fixed it now. Im again formating my 2nd Harddrive and then ill make an image of C so ill be fine if i get a problem later.

Greetings KillerD

Ridiculous

I've been scratching my head over this one today - dreading the thought of re-doing the whole installation.

I had an External HDD plugged in throughout the install, not thinking anything about it. Every restart led to the BOOTMGR error. I unplugged the HDD and Robert's your mother's brother, no error.

Nice touch.

Boot Mgr Error

Is the Boot Mgr Missing ? You can manually rebuild the Boot Mgr if necessary. This method works for Vista. Not sure about Windows 7.

Last edited:
Bootmgr is missing

I am installing Win7 Pro x64 and with continual reboots, some will work, others I get the "Bootmgr ..." message. I have two harddrives. The system is on the first SATA drive, data on the second SATA drive. What I am finding is that the order of the disks are getting swapped somehow in the BIOS, and therefore on reboot it is trying to use the data disk. This may help some folks that are having trouble. But, does anyone know what might cause the disks to be swapped?

What system is on the first HD?

Do you mean you currently have an o/s installed?

Can you boot into it?

Which partition is showing as "System" in Disk Management ?

If you cannot boot in - use a bootable partition manager to see :

Free Download Partition Wizard

With PW , make sure NUMLOCK is on before selecting screen resolution , when it asks - type 1 then Enter.

Which does PW tell you is the Active partition ?

I have Windows 7 installed on the C: drive, which is shown as the "System, Boot, ... " drive in Disk Management. I also have another drive set as the D: drive, which has data on it. In the Boot section of the BIOS, the order under Hard Disk Drives is specified as the C: drive first, then the D: drive. This determines the order the system looks for the BootMgr, as I understand it.

Normally, Windows 7 boots without any problems. However, after I have installed a new program that requires a restart to complete, more often than not, I get "BootMgr is msissing". This is because, for some reason, the order of the drives in the Hard Disk Drives section has been switched round, and it is now trying to restart using the D: drive.

As I say, does anyone know what might cause the disks to be swapped?

I have Windows 7 installed on the C: drive, which is shown as the "System, Boot, ... " drive in Disk Management. I also have another drive set as the D: drive, which has data on it. In the Boot section of the BIOS, the order under Hard Disk Drives is specified as the C: drive first, then the D: drive. This determines the order the system looks for the BootMgr, as I understand it.

Normally, Windows 7 boots without any problems. However, after I have installed a new program that requires a restart to complete, more often than not, I get "BootMgr is msissing". This is because, for some reason, the order of the drives in the Hard Disk Drives section has been switched round, and it is now trying to restart using the D: drive.

As I say, does anyone know what might cause the disks to be swapped?

the issue is going to be in the BIOS , do you know if this is fully up to date ?

what is the make and model of your motherboard plz ?

Been having missing bootmgr problems, tried all the repair options and re-installed a number of times. Turned out to be recognising an old IDE 80GB drive as drive 0 and assuming that was the boot drive, not my 750GB SATA despite the SATA being configured as the boot drive in BIOS. I had unplugged my other 500GB SATA with XP so as not to confuse the W7 install but did not think about the IDE. Found the Boot folder, bootmgr and the boot config files all on the IDE drive! Reading all the posts I think the moral is to unplug all drives except the one you are installing on if possible (which I did think I had done.....)
Hope this helps someone!
For info it's a A8NSLI with a 4800+ 2GB, Samsung F1 750GB SATA and a Samsung 80GB IDE

Back
Top Bottom