Windows 7 bootmgr question

kpox

no, bootmgr is not missing, but 'missing' in a another way.

here is a screenshot of my root C: with the proper folder options to see bootmgr.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I am confused because the bootmgr (compressed on vista+) is not visible. however with the exact some windows 7 pro it is visible on both of my virtual machines and also visible on windows 8.

I am curious as to why I cannot see it. I would like to analyze how it works along side the windows debug symbols. I know i could just grab a copy from my virual machine or from the windows\boot backup.

My ultimate question here is WHY is it not visible on my host machine.

if there is any further information you need from me. let me know.

thanks.

I suspect that the files you are referring to are contained in the System Reserved partition of your host system on Drive 0. Just a guess but check Disk Management and see if you have a system reserved partition could be 100 to 350 MB.

Also, if you have multiple drives, they may have been put on another drive.

I won't even go into where they might be if you have a UEFI install. :)

They will be in a partition labeled "System" in Disk Management.

I suspect that the files you are referring to are contained in the System Reserved partition of your host system on Drive 0. Just a guess but check Disk Management and see if you have a system reserved partition could be 100 to 350 MB.

hey thanks for the response as that was one of my initial guesses because this laptop does in fact have a recovery partition (which isn't used anyway because the pre-installed windows 7 on it was beyond loaded with bloatware. so i installed my own OEM copy).

what would be the protocol then for accessing that bootmgr?

also I noticed there is a compressed bootmgr in windows/boot/pcat. is that an equal copy?

You might make it easier for all of us if you were to share why you would want to edit bootmgr.

If the copy you mention does not work out, you can always get a copy by using the Bcdboot command from an Administrative command prompt. Just make sure and put them in a non-active partition. And you may have problems getting rid of them and will probably have to take ownership to be able to delete.

bcdboot c:\windows /s X: Just make sure the X: is a non-active partition.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744347(v=ws.10).aspx

Last edited:
Back