Windows 7 Browsing Network

MattC60

I have installed windows 7 Rc and I am able to browse a majority of computer in the workgroup but others ask for a user name and password.

When I enter a user name then it prompts logon failure: Unknown user name or password.

It now prompts me to enter the password and with the domain\username already filled out.

This machine is setup as workgroup without a domain.

It will connect to the windows server 2003 but not the windows server 2000

Please help!!

I have installed windows 7 Rc and I am able to browse a majority of computer in the workgroup but others ask for a user name and password.

When I enter a user name then it prompts logon failure: Unknown user name or password.

It now prompts me to enter the password and with the domain\username already filled out.

This machine is setup as workgroup without a domain.

Please help!!

• Are all the computers in the Homenetwork ( I assumed that way as you have not given any information about the type of network) Windows 7 or different OSEs?
  • If different Operating systems are present in your homenetwork, name the OSes between which you have File/Printer sharing problem?
Is Windows server 2000 the only computer you are having sharing problem with Win 7 Computers?

Are there diffrences in the User name and Password you have created in the computers that are prompting with a Login popup instead of automatically opening the shares for you?

If you don't have the same Login name and password created in each PC in the entire network , are you Entering the Login Name and Password existing in the Computer you are typing them or the Password you have in the Computer whose share you are trying to get?

I am in a business work Network (not home network) and windows 7 is setup for workgroup. the server 2000 has the same user name and password as does the server 2003. I can connect to other windows XP computers all having the same user name and password.

All have file and printer sharing enabled on all computers.

Yes at this point only windows server 2000 is the only problem.

Thanks

I am in a business work Network (not home network) and windows 7 is setup for workgroup. the server 2000 has the same user name and password as does the server 2003. I can connect to other windows XP computers all having the same user name and password.

All have file and printer sharing enabled on all computers.

Yes at this point only windows server 2000 is the only problem.

Thanks
Thank you for the clarification about the network. I hope the following MSKB article KB 301281 on How To Share Files and Folders Over a Network for Workgroups in Windows 2000 could be of interest to you to solve your problem. Please post the outcome of your efforts.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thank you for the clarification about the network. I hope the following MSKB article KB 301281 on How To Share Files and Folders Over a Network for Workgroups in Windows 2000 could be of interest to you to solve your problem. Please post the outcome of your efforts.

How To Share Files and Folders Over a Network for Workgroups in Windows 2000

I could not get this to work but the real question is why does all of the XP machines and Windows 2000 clients connect to this Windows 2000 server but not the Windows 7 machine?

Thanks

I could not get this to work but the real question is why does all of the XP machines and Windows 2000 clients connect to this Windows 2000 server but not the Windows 7 machine?

Thanks
I am in the process of recreating the problem using a widows 2000 SP4 system I have which works more or less like Windows Server 2000. I have manged to create the problem . Now I want to know how to fix it:)
My suspicion is the way we might have setup the Networking in Windows Server 2000 that makes the computer name read as Domain name might be the cause! Like you stated WinXP and even Linux had no problem exchanging files and printers but Win 7 did by throwing a popup that had a title:
Network Security

Enter Network password
Enter your password to connect to:
TheComputerNameI'veGivenToWin2000
User name:cmn
Password:xxxxxxxxxxxx
DOMAIN:TheComputerNameI'veGivenToWin2000

I used the Admin Password that I have in common but

X Logon failure Unknown user name or bad password.
Ok Cancel

***Please go through the following steps in Win 2000 Server:
reference: MSKB KB 232007
HOW TO: Change Computer and Domain Names in Windows 2000
***Change Computer and Domain Names

To change the computer name or domain membership, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  2. On the Network Identification tab, click Advanced.
  3. If you want to change the computer name, type the new name you want in the New Computer Name box. If not, continue to the next step.
  4. If you want to change the domain name, type the new domain name in the Domain box. If not, continue to the next step.
  5. If you want to change the name of the DNS domain name, click More, and then type the name of the DNS domain in the DNS domain name of this computer box. If not, continue to the next step.NOTE: When you select the Change DNS domain name when domain membership changes check box, DNS domain name changes when you change to a new domain, but does not change if you change to use a workgroup.
  6. Click OK.
I will see how the troubleshoot ends!

Last edited:
I am in the process of recreating the problem using a widows 2000 SP4 system I have which works more or less like Windows Server 2000. I have manged to create the problem . Now I want to know how to fix it:)
My suspicion is the way we might have setup the Networking in Windows Server 2000 that makes the computer name read as Domain name might be the cause! Like you stated WinXP and even Linux had no problem exchanging files and printers but Win 7 did by throwing a popup that had a title:
Network Security

Enter Network password
Enter your password to connect to:
TheComputerNameI'veGivenToWin2000
User name:cmn
Password:xxxxxxxxxxxx
DOMAIN:TheComputerNameI'veGivenToWin2000

I used the Admin Password that I have in common but

X Logon failure Unknown user name or bad password.
Ok Cancel

***Please go through the following steps in Win 2000 Server:
reference: MSKB KB 232007
HOW TO: Change Computer and Domain Names in Windows 2000
***Change Computer and Domain Names

To change the computer name or domain membership, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  2. On the Network Identification tab, click Advanced.
  3. If you want to change the computer name, type the new name you want in the New Computer Name box. If not, continue to the next step.
  4. If you want to change the domain name, type the new domain name in the Domain box. If not, continue to the next step.
  5. If you want to change the name of the DNS domain name, click More, and then type the name of the DNS domain in the DNS domain name of this computer box. If not, continue to the next step.NOTE: When you select the Change DNS domain name when domain membership changes check box, DNS domain name changes when you change to a new domain, but does not change if you change to use a workgroup.
  6. Click OK.
I will see how the troubleshoot ends!

Thanks For you help!!

Back
Top Bottom