Windows 7 BSOD after installing automatic updates

demcdonaldizer

It seems wonderful to me that Microsoft is unable to fix it's own problems. I bought this computer as a custom build brand new and picked it up sunday after delivering my brand new copy of Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit edition (upgrade from windows xp). I was eager and ready hearing wonderful things about this new OS. Biggest mistake of my life. I have had all of about 1 hour of time to actually do things on this computer that I really want to be doing (checking email, playing games, doing homework, etc.), and have instead spent nearly every waking hour on the phone to Microsoft Tech support trying to get the (bleep) ing automatic updates to work. After two clean reinstalls, countless system restores, technicians logging onto my computer to make changes to startup settings, driver updates, etc. This last one got all the updates installed on my computer, and when I turned on normal booting and restarted it, the damned computer blue screened on me AGAIN. I had to undo the 2 hours of installations I'd just done, wasting those precious hours. They have the code for the BSOD (yes, it's the same one over and over), so what the h.e.double.hockeysticks is going on? I cannot be the only person on the planet who cannot get automatic updates to work.

The motherboard is a brand new, out-of-the-box Asus P7H55-M LX motherboard, intel i-3 processor, an LG DVD drive, a CTL 19 inch monitor, two generic desktop speakers plugged into the motherboard onboard sound (the monitor is plugged into the onboard Intel graphics). When performing the updates, everything but the monitor, generic USB keyboard and the generic PS2 mouse were plugged in. I can even give you the software running on the machine if that helps, but remember, the technician checked for an updated video driver, to no avail, so just had me reinstall the video driver that came with the motherboard. That is current. The BSOD code was a 0x00000044 code (driver conflict). Oh yeah, one of the previous technicians even removed the USB port drivers as well. Prior to that technician, every other technician didn't believe me when I'd told him I'd tried everything, including a new clean reinstall (2 counting the initial install), numerous system recoveries (from the DVD, not the system as that was the only option the system gave me), and how many different attempts at installing them one at a time to determine which one (like it was only one in a list of 41 installs). WHY CAN'T MICROSOFT FIX THIS, MAKE A QUALITY PRODUCT AFTER XP, OR BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL THEM ANYTHING??????? It makes me sick.

Hey there and welcome.

Update patches from Microsoft do not cause bsods. The state of your machine as it/they is/are being applied though, does.

Please navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump to copy the files in there to any other folder. Then zip the files and attach to a post. We will be on to fixing this in no time.

You came to the right place here, that's for sure. :)

Don't doubt me, as I'll be glad to prove you wrong in a quick minute and make you happy! :)

Uninstall your RadialPoint software. The drivers are causing definite issues as they are too old:

rp_pkt64 rp_pkt64.sys Thu Apr 05 14:51:01 2007
rp_skt64 rp_skt64.sys Wed Nov 26 15:15:20 2008

Enjoy the pc! :)

Just delete the files, or do I need to uninstall something? I can't find an actual radialpoint program, so just want to make sure. Also, the last time, the technician did turn them off, so they should be inactive anyway.

Yeah, get rid of that suite for sure.

Nope, they're on the machine and in memory, thus can (and is) causing the bsods.

I never even heard of this software before, but you should follow this: ActiveKB Knowledgebase

Then when done, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete the 2 drivers I mentioned.

Reboot and install MSE to replace, for antivirus as it is excellent and does not cause bsod under any circumstance.

Okay, well, they need to know for sure if that's what it is. I will uninstall it and install the updates and restart the computer will full services on and see if it still blue-screens on me. If it does, then we know that's not it. If it doesn't, then we know it is and I need to contact Verizon and let them know of the compatibility issues. Then I need to cancel that service and find new security.

Hi there,
I'm sorry the tech help has not been all that great. Its funny how when you tell folks that you have followed the rules to fix a problem that they cannot believe an outcome they do not expect. There have been problems with auto updates, peripherals, and other elements I have seen posted on various forums... and I did some digging to see if I could find something useful to get you up and running. Mostly because Windows 7 Professional is a strong OS, and you seem to have found a magic mix of technology and possibly misaligned help. Have you tried muscling through it with the online solution center Windows 7 Solution Center ? Best, John C. Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

w7pro said:
Hi there,
I'm sorry the tech help has not been all that great. Its funny how when you tell folks that you have followed the rules to fix a problem that they cannot believe an outcome they do not expect. There have been problems with auto updates, peripherals, and other elements I have seen posted on various forums... and I did some digging to see if I could find something useful to get you up and running. Mostly because Windows 7 Professional is a strong OS, and you seem to have found a magic mix of technology and possibly misaligned help. Have you tried muscling through it with the online solution center Windows 7 Solution Center ? Best, John C. Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

The drivers in the security suite nearly predate Windows Vista, and it appears that the original poster has not yet had time to respond to whether this was the source of the problem. I take objection to the notion of "misaligned help" in this instance. The respondent (TorrentG) took the crash dump files from this user and took a look at what was causing the BSOD from a technical perspective. He has done this hundreds of times, with a great amount of success, as opposed to being contracted to tell everyone to visit the Solution Center. I imagine, that since we have not heard back from the original poster, we do not yet know if his problem was resolved.

Accordingly, it seems the original poster was reluctant to apply the changes suggested by the respondent. If the security software has not been updated since 2008 this may be a serious problem for the user, and for the stability of his system. It is well understood that many system-level problems do take place with poor security software which is allowed to go out-of-date or is not updated by the end-user. Its funny when someone who has posted over 2,000 answers to fellow Windows users - for free - gets slammed by the paid Outreach Team.

Back