Windows 7 BSOD and System freeze on Windows 7 x64

Rcoaster777

A few days ago my system began crashing with a video tdr error. The screen would go to black, and a few seconds later the system rebooted. I ran WhoCrashed and was told that the crashes were related to nvlddmkm.sys and dxgkrnl.sys. I began to troubleshoot these issues.

I first removed the drivers and reinstalled them, then tried a system restore, and ran memtest on both sticks of RAM for 7 passes with 0 errors. I have 2 Nvida 460s in sli and have tried multiple configurations with them. I tried each one individually and was still able to reproduce the crash. I also ran intel burn test to test the cpu and furmark stability test to test the gpus, all of which passed no problem. I am able to reproduce these crashes by launching zune software a few times, and eventually it will crash. However, the system has locked up in other programs as well. I also tried a clean boot and was still able to reproduce the crash. Safe mode is the only place where the crash cannot be replicated.

Unfortunatley, I do not have any crash dumps to post as the system now locks up, and instead of a black screen, everything remains on the screen. I have to turn off the power and reboot, and no crash dump is created. If anyone could help me further troubleshoot these issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

System Specs- i7 930, sli evga 460s 1 gb, Creative x-fi fatal1y titanium soundcard, 8gb G-skill RAM, gigabyte x58a ud3r, antec 900, corsair hx750, Western Digital black caviar 1 tb hd
Also: no overclocking on any components

Attachments

• memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 385
  • spd.jpg
    spd.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 401
I ran WhoCrashed and was told that the crashes were related to nvlddmkm.sys and dxgkrnl.sys

Caused by nVidia and DirectX drivers, most likely they are not the real causers though.

Unfortunatley, I do not have any crash dumps to post as the system now locks up, and instead of a black screen, everything remains on the screen. I have to turn off the power and reboot, and no crash dump is created. If anyone could help me further troubleshoot these issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you experience the same behavior in safe mode too?

~~~~~~~~~

Your memory is set wrong: currently 1080Mhz 7-7-7-20 while rated 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v. Adjust the DRAM options in the bios, save and reboot.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've updated my ram timings to 9-9-9-24.
memory(updated).png

As for safe mode, I have not been able to replicate the problem in safe mode.

Right now I'm unsure if I am doing this correctly. I have the ram at 9-9-9-24 still. The Dram voltage is at 1.5. I then proceeded to change the system memory multiplier from auto to 12 in order to get the frequency at 1600. After doing this, indicator lights on my motherboard came on indicating slight over voltages of the cpu, ram, and north bridge. I then tried turning on the xmp profile settings with the same results. Is this normal, or is there something I should change?

Load setup defaults in the bios and enable XMP profile, save and reboot.
If still wrong, address this issue at the RAM maker's forum.

Back