Windows 7 BSOD atikmpag.sys

Ldawg57

Hi guys, new member here.

I've been having some issues with my AMD display driver. I constantly get BSODs when surfing the web and sometimes starting up games (I have to ctrl+alt+del until it "stabilizes" when launching games or I'll get a BSOD. I have attached a folder containing everything WF7 grabbed, CPU-Z tabs screenshot and RAMMon screenshot.

View attachment W7F_23-11-2012 (3).zip

I've heard that y'all are the best . Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Quick Specs:
CPU: i5-2400 Sandy Bridge
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Gen3Extr3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw Series 8 GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD: M4 Crucial 128 GB
PS: OCZ ZT Series 650 W

CPU-Z(8_tabs) - Copy.jpgRAMMO - Copy.PNG

EDIT: Didn't mean to put the smiley face on the title lol

Last edited:
Edit: Copied images to original post

Attachments

• CPU-Z(8_tabs) - Copy.jpg
    CPU-Z(8_tabs) - Copy.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 543
  • RAMMO - Copy.PNG
    RAMMO - Copy.PNG
    46.4 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Hi Ldawg, welcome to W7 Forums! Please refrain from posting the same problem in multiple threads (duplicate: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/87045-bsod-crash-dump-help.html). Thanks!

You have 99 Windows Updates installed - generally, SP1 users get around 130 to 140 updates, so check Windows Update and install all the available updates.

This device has a problem:
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller The drivers for this device are not installed.
Please update the latest drivers for USB controller (to find the correct driver, go to Device Manager and find the correct driver through Windows).

Looking at the error reports (not the minidumps), 2 of them point to winsat.exe (Windows System Assessment Tool). Many people have also reported getting BSODs related to winsat.exe after updating their video drivers, which is what you described in your originating post.
Currently, I'm still analyzing the minidumps, so just for now I'll give you a tip on how to disable winsat (and hopefully get rid of the BSODs).

Method:
1. Go to Start Menu, and type in "Task Scheduler".
2. Navigate to: Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance - you should see the program named "WinSAT".
3. Right-Click WinSAT, and select "Disable".
4. Reboot your computer and try replicate the BSOD.

Dumps:
Code:
BugCheck 116, {fffffa80077754e0, fffff880080d5db8, 0, 2}
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+8db8 )
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8006a8c010, fffff8800418a768, 0, 2}
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+8768 )
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8009f1f4e0, fffff8800416c768, 0, 2}
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8006f6b010, fffff88008d20768, 0, 2}
BugCheck 116, {fffffa800900d4e0, fffff8800422dae4, 0, d}
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+7ae4 )
BugCheck 116, {fffffa80092fe4e0, fffff8800414eae4, 0, 2}
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+7ae4 )
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8006d334e0, fffff8800422edb8, 0, 2}
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8009691210, fffff88004008db8, 0, 2}
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8006e5e4e0, fffff88003fbc6cc, 0, 2}
Probably caused by : VirtuWDDM.sys ( VirtuWDDM+86cc )
BugCheck 116, {fffffa8009c04220, fffff8800408f6cc, 0, 2}
BugCheck 116, {fffffa80088a64e0, fffff88003f396cc, 0, 2}

8 minidumps point to atikmpag.sys, which is ATI's video driver.

The last 3 minidumps report VirtuWDDM.sys to be the problem. VirtuWDDM.sys is LucidLogix's LucidVirtu WDDM Driver (has been known to cause BSODs on multiple systems), so uninstall that using the link below:

VirtuWDDM.sys Fri Jan 6 03:57:06 2012 (4F05D662)
VIRTU LucidInterop WDDM Driver by LucidLogix
Driver Reference Table - VirtuWDDM.sys

below is the link to ATI's Video Drivers in case you wanted that as well:

atikmpag.sys Fri Sep 28 11:12:52 2012 (5064F994)
ATI Video driver (remove the Catalyst Control Center and only install the Display Driver)
Driver Reference Table - atikmpag.sys

atikmdag.sys Fri Sep 28 12:14:57 2012 (50650821)
ATI Video driver (remove the Catalyst Control Center and only install the Display Driver)
Driver Reference Table - atikmdag.sys

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick diagnostic!

I've done what you both recommended me to do: Disabled WSAT, Installed every SP update (except for the language packages), Installed AMD drivers without CCC. So far I've been trying to replicate a BSOD and I've been unsuccessful (good thing). Instead of BSOD, the web browser kind of locks up and I end having to 'x' out of it or just wait for the graphics to load (mainly flash advertisement)

When I boot up games, I still have the same problems though. The games lock up and I have to "ctrl+alt+del" to exit the application. "AMD Display Driver has stopped responding and recovered" on the bottom right of my task bar pops up quiet frequently.

I really appreciate the help! If there's any other suggestions or findings that yall have, that would be great! This will be my last AMD graphics card I purchase. I'm going to go the nvidia route this Christmas.

EDIT: I know it has something to do with GPU. I took the graphics card out of the mobo and just plugged my monitor into the integrated graphics and everything worked very well. The games booted up without a stutter i.e. I didn't have to do the "ctrl+alt+del" trick (although the quality was significantly lower since using integrated graphics instead of discrete, I expected that though)

Last edited:
Well it looks like we've narrowed the problem down to the GPU.

If you couldn't tell already from my signature and Profile picture, I'm a NVIDIA fanboy, so I'm not too experienced at dealing with AMD driver problems/card problems.
However, looking through the net:
I did this, and the error has stopped appearing: Locate the kdbsync.exe file under the programs (x86) folder. (just use search from there).
Right click it and "run as administrator." Also, open Catalyst Control Center, and under the video section, Select AMD video converter. Then, tick the box named Hardware Acceleration. I don't know for sure if either of those did it, but after 6 restarts with that annoying message, those are the 2 changes I made, and it's gone away.
may or may not apply to you, but I'm afraid that's the most I can do at this point.

Back