Windows 7 BSOD issue

DragonSpawn

I keep getting random crashes. They can are as a rule when I am surfing the internet or listening to music. I tend to play a few computer games, so far there has not been a BSOD while playing those. The problem is really getting annoying, with one BSOD coming every 24-48 hours or so. I am not sure if it is driver related or not. Since I manually installed a realtek audio driver and an intel chipset driver.

Thanks

Attachments

• 050710-33961-01.rar
    27 KB · Views: 262
Forgot to add my specs:

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
ASUS Nvidia 8800 GTX 768mb onboard RAM
Intel Core2 Duo 8300 @ 2.83ghz
4gb DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte ep35c-ds3r mainboard
Samsung 320gb harddrive

Antivirus = Avira Antivir 10

Crashed again today. One thing I noticed though. After I crash and restart I have to plug my headset in and out before people can hear me speak on skype/teamspeak again.

Wanted me to upload my latest minidump?

this shows in debugger as
Code:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
and suggests memory_corruption

although this could be caused by a driver I have mostly found this error to be hardware with either an overheating CPU or bad RAM ?

post your temperatures here please and meanwhile To test memory I get consistent results by burning to CD (using an ISO burner) & running from boot memtest86+ for at least 5 passes and moving the sticks between slots running them together and singly to verify motherboard ram slots work as well as each ram stick.

let us know how it goes and upload any more .dmp files you get ?

I suppose it could be RAM. I did build in 2x 2gb DDR3 RAM about a month ago when I installed Win7 64bit. Bad RAM as in faulty production or was I possibly not gentle enough when putting it into the slots? Since so far as I can see the computer recognizes all 4 gb without issue.

Also as I stated the BSODs seem to be completely inconsistent and random. I can leave my PC on for 72 hours straight, with intensive gaming sessions inbetween with no problem. Then after a weeks gap with no problems I can get another BSOD in the middle of a game or while surfing the internet. Now maybe I'll get my next BSOD tomorrow or next week, there is no way of telling if it sticks to it's irregular pattern.

Not sure if it is relevant. I used to get BSODs every 1-2 days, then I uninstalled my third party intel processor drivers. I then went an entire week without a BSOD. The only third-party drivers I manually installed; that I have left installed are my realtek audio drivers. As I stated previously in yesterdays BSOD (the one in the attached minidump), my sound/microphone was broken after reboot until I replugged my headphone cables in and out. Not sure if this is relevant, it was odd nonetheless.

Attachments

• minidump3.rar
    22.8 KB · Views: 238
This crash blames dxgmms1.sys and I suggest Try installing Windows hot-fix The October 2009 stability and reliability update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 is available.

your gfx card drivers might also have caused this problem so try updating or rolling back or completely uninstalling ans using the windows drivers ?

third possibility is ram so please run the ram test overnight but remember this will only catch a severe problem not an intermittent failure ?

if none of this helps try running your system with only one stick of ram and see if this stabilizes it ?

ram can be "bad" because one small component in the stick could be damaged and only fails occasionally when accessed and the damage can be done by mishandling or static electricity or simply bad manufacture ?

It could also be because the ram isn't an exact match to the motherboard and or voltage or speeds ?

It says I already have the hotfix. So that's one down.

I burned the memtest onto a cd. I'll do that tomorrow due to me having to find my non-USB keyboard in the cellar first. My G-15 USB keyboard seems to have trouble doing much of anything unless windows launched.

Also your help is much appreciated =)

I ran memtest yesterday night. It ran 11 passes with 0 errors. So I assume the memory is intact and without issue? I am not sure if it's because DDR3 RAM is faster or my processer but it did those 11 passes in about 6 hours time.

Only thing of note was that memtest said ECC is disabled, I wasn't sure what that meant so I left it untouched. Could that be of any possible relevance?

well memtest86 is our best shot but by no means definitive , to quote since windows 95 Microsoft have stated about memory testing programs
Defective memory chips may not be detected by memory checking tools. Some memory checking programs are not adequate tests because they do not test RAM in the same way that Windows uses RAM. Most memory checkers use read/write cycles when scanning memory. Since Windows is executing code from memory, it uses execute cycles. Execute cycles are different from read/write cycles and are more vulnerable to parity errors. It is possible for memory checking programs to find parity errors if the memory is extremely faulty.

maybe it is your audio drivers but that would surface when playing games :confused:

it would be useful if it was named in debugger so if your sure your system is fully backed up and you are confident then it might highlight the driver by running driver verifier ?

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 repeatedly & select)
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
If that doesn't work, post back and we'll have to see about fixing the registry entry off-line.

To disable Driver Verifier so that it no longer performs verification checks at startup, run Driver Verifier Manager again and select Delete Existing Settings in the initial dialog box.
Alternatively, click Start, then Run, and type verifier /reset in the Open box.

More info on this at this link: Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

post anymore bluescreen .dmp files as and when they happen ;)

I think what makes my case a bit confusing is that I might have had a chimera. I had constant regular BSODs, then I uninstalled my intel processer drivers and for a while I thought it was fixed and gone. Then I got another random BSOD a few days later (then another at a way later date), meaning it went from 3 BSODs a day to one in a blue moon. So we looked towards memory, that hotfix of yours and now audio drivers.

Not sure if this is relevant. It completely slipped my mind with my crazy university schedule and term papers.

But a few weeks ago I had some issues. Specifically with Source games running on the source graphic engine. The game would run in super slow motion with "lag" and the sound was chopped up. Considering my PC specifications this was troublesome, since I could run games with nearly 3x the demands (Crysis) smoothly but all games running the Source engine (CSS, HL2, Gmod) were unplayable.

I first tried to solve this issue by re-installing my realtek drivers a good 3-4 times, also with different versions. My brother then attempted a fix while I was at University which worked, I just asked him what exactly he did. Apparently he got the lag issue and audio to work in the Source games by getting this trick off some site:

Since then the source games run smoothly. The only issue I sometimes have as I mentioned earlier, that randomly my microphone won't work until I manually go to the back of the machine and do a plugout/plugin.

PS: I'll give the verify thing a try though once I backed everything up onto my external HDDs and have enough time to properly read it through step by step without rushing it.

Is this onboard sound or a PCI card ?

maybe try removing it or disabling ?

look for conflicts with your gfx card in system information ?

I didn't get a chance to use verifier yet. But right now I just had another BSOD:

1) My PC had been on for 72 hours, running smoothly
2) I had several browser windows open and was running a movie in media player classic in windowed mode when the BSOD came. There was a stuttering sound, blue flash and then it said "Memory Mismanagement" somewhere in the top left of the BSOD. Not sure if this helps you, I uploaded the minidump nonetheless.

Attachments

• 051910-18189-01.rar
    19 KB · Views: 235
I ran memtest yesterday night. It ran 11 passes with 0 errors. So I assume the memory is intact and without issue? I am not sure if it's because DDR3 RAM is faster or my processer but it did those 11 passes in about 6 hours time.

Only thing of note was that memtest said ECC is disabled, I wasn't sure what that meant so I left it untouched. Could that be of any possible relevance?

It means that you ram is non-ecc (non-error correction checking). Ecc is much slower beacause it checks for parity bits. Only needed for critical applications.

I agree with ickymay that this sure does look like a ram problem even though you pass the memtest86+.

Do you have the most current bios and drivers for your motherboard. You can find updates here: GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver

Last edited:
I tried updating the most recent mobo drivers and I had BSODs deluxe until I removed them, since i think there I had a driver conflict with windows.

However you gave me an idea. I never flashed my BIOS, my PC is still running on a 2-3 year old version. I looked at the changelog. It stated that one of the BIOS updates included:

Enhanced support for high tick DDR3 RAM

So I just flashed my BIOS. I am running 4gb DDR3 RAM at 1333 mhz. I am not sure if this will help the problem, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll report back if there are any more BSODs.

ECC In Kerberos

I believe "ECC" is disabled by default. ECC Support in Kerberos is for "Smart Card" Log on. Windows 7 supports a mixed mode of ECC and RSA (Cryptographic Algorithms) for data protection.....

I don't know if it makes any difference, but make sure you are using the updates for the correct revision number of your motherboard. See attached.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 362
I just had a completely new occurrence. I was playing games the past 2 days at a fairly unregular interval.

Anyways just as I was playing a game not 5 minutes ago I had a new form of BSOD. The whole screen froze. Then an earwrenching drilling sound came from my headsets at first in 2 second intervals with short pauses inbetween, like a drum emitting white noise. Then after about 1min it became nonstop without any intervals of silence inbetween. Pure whitenoise from my headset. During this the screen was frozen the whole time on the game screen. My G15 keyboard also was off during this whole time, it's LEDs turned off and it's LCD was blank.

Does this help point it in any direction?

Back