Windows 7 BSOD On Completing Installation

DannyWareing

Okay, Completing installation, BSOD, reboot.

None of that would be a problem if I could now at least try and perform a re-install. Whenever I boot from CD it goes straight to loading up the OS, occasionally allowing me to choose between starting Windows 7, or starting the Windowns Memory Diagnostic or something. This screen, black background, white font, similiar look to Bios, was IIRC, the same screen where I chose to boot first time, but instead of offering Windows 7 it offered Windows Boot Manager or something.

Is there anyway I can attempt a re-install at all? Can I wipe it off my HDD through BIOS?

On top of that, if I forever BSOD at completing install, what are the most likely errors? I've searched it a little bit and it seems to be graphics card issues but the GTX 460 has no reported problems anywhere online.

Thank you kindly! Danny

Edit- I didn't get any of the blue screen numbers or anything but I do recall it saying something like, if this isn't the first time, turn off caching and shadowing?

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and post Torrent. Even when I try booting to safe mode it says something about 'starting services' and then an error message, Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode, restart your computer to complete installation, so then I restart, and it says it hits an unexpected error etc.

Spec list:
Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM
Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
Corsair 450W VX Series PSU - ATX12V v2.2
EXTRA VALUE 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit 1.5V CL9
Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2 Socket 1156 VGA Out 7.1 channel audio mATX Motherboard
Tenda Wireless-N300 PCI Adapter
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Yeah, you can try installing Windows with the onboard video (card removed) and only one stick of RAM installed closest to cpu.

Many find that this approach installs Windows well. If this approach fails in the same manner, test the memory overnight or until errors show with Memtest86+ by booting to the burned disc.

Good luck and please keep us updated on how it goes...and you're welcome.

Make sure optimized defaults are set in the bios before doing anything further.

Thanks Torrent I'll give that a go.

Would you happen to know how to force it to install even when it wont let me? It seems to think the OS is installed correctly and then fail to start up. I'm in the process of sourcing other boot options like my old xp disc or something.

Yep, my last post is how to get around certain peculiar errors that may be happening. Once you get to desktop (if you do) and then bsods happen, we will be in a much better situation then to try to determine the cause, if you post them, from safe mode + networking if need be.

I wouldn't bother with the XP disc at all. Windows 7 in and of itself is extremely stable. If you are having issues installing it, then there is a hardware issue.

Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it with the above approaches.

Did as you said and found that neither of my monitors would pick up a signal through the VGA slot on the motherboard. The mobo definitely supports on board graphics as long as you have an i5/7, so I imagine it's something I've messed up on BIOS. Am I right in thinking I need to tell it that the primary graphics need to be the on board ones? And is that the PEG (think its that, cant remember exactly). I remember something about the options PCI, PEG, PEG2. Thanks so much for this!

Torrent you might just be some kind of sorcerer. I optimized my BIOS, and with just that one stick of ram removed, its started to install windows again. Fingers crossed this time, if this works I'm massively indebted!

Install complete, final question, what do I do about the last stick of Ram? When am I safe to put it back in?

Very welcome. As long as Windows is functioning well, now is a good time as long as power is off to the machine of course.

Please keep us updated on the results and also keep track of which exact stick of RAM is now not in and which is.

I left the one closest to the CPU in like you said. Second stick is now in and still working fine. I hope this solves a long term problem for many as is not just a freak occurence/ one off! I'll be sure to update, hopefully commenting on how well the system is running!

Back
Top Bottom