BSOD on startup, sometimes seemingly at random. Brand new machine.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)' started by brisingre, Jun 7, 2012.

1. brisingre

brisingre New Member

I just built this machine. I've attached everything I think I'm supposed to, I'm sorry if I missed anything. My CPUID-Z screenshot is formatted a bit funny, I'm sorry about that, too.

Thanks for the help!

-Lou

View attachment Seven Forums.zip

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Hello Lou and welcome to the forum.
    You may want to enable XMP mode for your memory using your system's BIOS utility and see if that helps the issue at all.
    Failing that, Give memtest a try:
    IF you start getting errors stop the test, remove one stick of RAM and start again.

3. brisingre

brisingre New Member

Sorry I've been so long. I don't get a chance to work on the machine that often, and won't get another one for a week or so. So this is just a short update, an "I'm still here." I switched over to XMP mode, which made the crashes more consistent. (3/3 on the times I tried to boot it, and it crashed earlier in the boot cycle than it normally does.)

I have not gotten the time to run MemTest yet. I will do that.

Is it possible a BIOS update would fix this? Because I don't think the machine's BIOS is up to date. Or are you sure it's a RAM issue?

4. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

It has been a week and without going back and looking though your dump file(s), I feel relatively safe in saying that yes a BIOS update might be helpful.
    And I'm pretty comfortable admitting that the only thing I'm sure of, is that I'm not sure of anything when it comes to BSODs.
    I would suggest that after testing your memory as suggested above, if it tests good then I would move next to your hard disk
    Use the native Check Disk utility
    chkdsk C: /R
    and follow that up by using the vendor specific hard disk diagnostic utility provided by your hard drive manufacturer a list of some of which can be found here Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
    If the machine is crashing consistently before even loading the OS, then that would suggest a likely hardware issue, so double check all your connections (power and interface cables), double check all addin modules (cards, memory, even CPU) for proper seating and of course make sure that whatever power supply you have chosen, that it is up to the task of supporting the power demands of all your components.

5. brisingre

brisingre New Member

I'm back in town, and back at work on this computer.

My BIOS was up to date.

I'm running MemTest as soon as I post this.