Windows 10 BSoD problems

Youngblood

I hear this is the place to be for BSoD problems! Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give.

Has happened many times over the past few weeks. I'm seeing both Critical_Process_Died and Unexpected_Store_Exception, although the former happened a few times before I saw the latter.

I've attached the ZIP file from the W7F Diagnostic Tool.
I've also already ran sfc /scannow
and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
(and then the scannow again). The scannow didn't find anything either time.

Is there more info I should add?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• W7F_11-08-2017.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 347
Of the dumps I looked through BC EF, 154 and A0. The EF and 154 dumps seem to crash during a page fault and the dump with a BC of A0 shows a problem reading from or writing to a hibernation file.

PAGE FAULT: When part of a program that is being accessed is not currently loaded in memory. This will cause the system to load from disk the required code into main memory.

Since these are all failing during disk access I would suspect a problem with the hard drive itself. A DFT test on your hard drive would be recommended. Seagate SeaTools works really well for this.
I also noticed you have rdyboost.sys loaded (ReadyBoost) this could also cause the problem so you may want to try disabling ReadyBoost
This should work in 10 too Turn On or Turn Off ReadyBoost in Windows 8 | 7

AV and memory could also be culprits but I'm leaning toward a disk or RB issue.

Thanks for the quick reply!

hard drive test --> I downloaded Seagate SeaTools and didn't see any option for "DFT test". I tried the Short Drive Self Test, but when it reached 100% it locked up my whole computer. 10 minutes later I did a hard reset.

ReadyBoost --> The one device (USB drive) I've used has ReadyBoost already turned off, is there a place in the system (i.e. not in the properties of a USB drive) to turn this off for all devices?

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {ffffc00117898e38, ffffffffc000000e, 14ac2c860, fffff8006357307c}

Probably caused by : srv.sys ( srv!SrvFsdDispatch+924a )

Followup:     MachineOwner

Code:
DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware
Hi,
I must have missed your post but your first dump file to open shows an error with either the disk subsystem or the disk itself as Neem's has already mentioned.
Try right clicking on the drive in question, choose properties, Tools and then check drive. Run the scan even if it says it doesn't need it.

Now either your drive is failing or something else is causing the critical process to die (the most prolific dump file). A couple of things I noticed with your machine.
Driver support ended with Windows 8.1
Sony eSupport - VPCEH12FX - Support

Some of your critical drivers such as the Intel engine management driver date from 2010 and need updating. The drivers for Windows 8.1 should work just as well and you could try updating off your support page. Laptops must use drivers from the manufacturer (apart from some graphic solutions) so don't be tempted to use any drivers from elsewhere.

I also noticed evidence of McAFEE AV suite and would ask you remove this until after debugging has finished. Just use the on board Defender as it's very stable.

Post any new dump files.

Problems seem to have gotten worse. It'll go a day or so without a BSoD, then it'll have 2-3+ in a day. This morning it crashed 3 times and after the 3rd, it said "Operating System Not Found" immediately after trying to restart. I tried a hard reset a few times with the same result. After shutting it down and letting it sit for a few minutes, it restarted just fine and has been up nearly an hour now.

I ran the scan on the drive as you suggested, kemical, and it was error free.
I used Driver Booster yesterday (8/17). It updated 10 drivers, to include the Intel engine management driver you mentioned.
I removed McAfee some time ago (more than a year), and I don't see it on the add/remove programs list.
New dump files posted.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• W7F_18-08-2017.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 325
Code:

BugCheck 154, {ffffe000908e8000, ffffd000232bd630, 0, 0}

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for FLTMGR.SYS -
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for MOBK370.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for MOBK370.sys
Probably caused by : hardware_disk

Hi,
I could see this driver: MOBK370.sys Wed Apr 7 23:06:36 2010: Mozy Change Monitor Filter Driver : in whats called the Stack text. This is almost a sure sign that this driver lays behind the issue. If you no longer use it please remove or if possible update to a later version:
Cloud Storage & Backup Solutions in the UK | Mozy

Ok, a couple of things.
DriverBooster's or apps which find drivers for you can sometimes install something which doesn't always agree with the system and they are to be avoided. Admittedly your options were limited because of no Win 10 driver support but laptops especially need drivers from the actual manufacturer (apart from gpu drivers) so we'll have to keep an eye on these new drivers.
Looking over your drivers I noticed a number of applications dated to 2009/10 and I would recommend you either remove or update them. I'll list what i found:

ArcSoftKsUFilter.sys Mon May 25 09:27:31 2009: ArcSoft Magic-i Visual Effect: Global leader in imaging technology - ArcSoft

Capsax64Drv0.sys Wed Apr 22 11:38:03 2009: Colasoft Capsa 7 Free Network Toolset driver : Free Network Analysis Tools, Free Network Analyzer Download, Free Network Sniffers Download, Free Protocol Analyzer Download - Colasoft
MOBK370.sys Wed Apr 7 23:06:36 2010: Mozy Change Monitor Filter Driver : Cloud Storage & Backup Solutions in the UK | Mozy

A couple of drivers still date from 2009/10 but again we'll just have to keep an eye out in case of trouble.

Just to make sure your HDD is actually ok try running some of the scans outlined in this tutorial on how to check your drive using SMART data:
How to See If Your Hard Drive Is Dying with S.M.A.R.T.

Post any new dump files.

Thank you so much for your help! I’m trying to do everything you say, it’s just so frustrating that it isn’t working. I started keeping a log of all the BSoDs, and it seems like it might be hardware related? Could that be? Every BSoD (or nearly so) occurs when I move either the screen or base of the laptop. When I hibernate first, then move and setup before waking up, it doesn’t seem to happen. I can use the keyboard just fine. I did everything below and restarted, all fine, then just to check I adjusted the screen about an inch or so back then forth, then BSoD. … That’s bad, isn’t it? Seems bad.

Now here’s what I did to address your previous instructions:

After some searching around I found that the MOBK370.sys file is associated with the McAfee Online Backup still floating around on my laptop. The program doesn’t have an uninstall option, so I deleted what I could find and disabled it in the startup services. It won’t let me delete the actual file in the drivers folder, even after a restart. Says it’s still in use?

About the Driver Booster… I thought I could take a shortcut and I now see the problem with doing it that way, thanks for setting me straight.

ArcSoftKsUFilter.sys… I uninstalled both ArcSoft programs I found and disabled the startup service. It let me delete this one from the drivers folder after the restart.

Capsax64Drv0.sys… I uninstalled the Colasoft program. During the uninstall, it identified several drivers not shared by other programs, so I deleted them as well.

Now that I know where the drivers folder is (and can sort by date), should I be trying to manually update each old driver individually? … Using new(er) drivers from the manufacturer, of course. Assuming they exist.

From the S.M.A.R.T. analysis, I used the simple method (command prompt) and it said OK. I then downloaded CrystalDiskInfo (linked from the article you provided) and it shows a caution bubble for the Reallocated Sectors Count (Current: 100, Worst: 100, Threshold: 36). I don’t know what this means. Oh, and Temperature is 36C, is that good or bad?

New dump files attached.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• W7F_23-08-2017.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 294
Open an elevated command prompt and type pnputil -e, then look for the MOBK driver make note of the OEM##.inf file name then type
pnputil -f -d OEM##.inf that should force remove it or boot into safe mode and you can remove it from there.

Code:

BugCheck EF, {ffffe00005fec7c0, 0, 0, 0}

ETW minidump data unavailable
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!PspCatchCriticalBreak+a4 )

Hi,
and it shows a caution bubble for the Reallocated Sectors Count
HDDs keep a certain amount of semi hidden good but unused sectors as spares in case existing ones fail. The above message may mean that these 'spare's are now running low ( 10%)
Is it possible for you to take a screenshot of your SMART data?

Download an app called Speedfan. Follow the arrows in the screenshot and you can get an online report about the state of your drive. I did mine as an example:
speedfan.jpg

Try running both these scan's ( a number of times if need be) and see if any system corruption is cleaned up:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Something else you could try is to check if it's an actual driver issue by running the Driver verifier. This application will stress drivers on boot up, if a driver does blue screen then the name of said driver will be in the dump file all being well.
First however you will need to make a Recovery disk/USB for windows 10 .

The reason you need a recovery disk/USB is because the driver verifier can on occasion cause a bsod boot loop. If this occurs you can use the recovery key to boot back into windows and turn the verifier off.

This handy guide by John Griffith is a great help:
Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support
should I be trying to manually update each old driver individually?
You should be able to spot them in your (what was called) Add and remove programs section.

You will have to use the drivers for Windows 8.1 or at least try and install them. If they prove stubborn try running them in compatibility mode
Sony eSupport - VPCEH12FX - Support

I would try and install those SATA drivers at least.

Please post any new dump files.

Last edited:
Back