BSOD when connected to external monitor using DisplayPort

I am getting a lot of BSOD when my laptop is connected to an external monitor using a display-port cable.
The system is fine when I don't use a external monitor and use just laptop screen. External monitor is a Dell 30inch. I have tried different display-port cables, different monitors, tried connecting via vga...still get BSOD, so I am thinking the problem is more on the windows 7/software side rather than hardware.

I searched forums and have done the following so far:
1. Uninstall AVG free edition 2011 (as recommended in the forum, maybe switch to MSE after problem is resolved)
2. Upgraded network-gigabit driver directly from intel instead of Lenovo
3a. Upgraded Nvidia drivers directly from nvidia for Quadro 1000m (ver 8.17.12.7533 - 5/20/2011) - got BSOD within 30min
3b. Downgraded Nvidia drivers to version from Lenovo (ver 8.17.12.6696 - 2/2/2011) - still get BSOD but there is more time between BSODs.

I am using a lenovo w520 laptop, win 7 SP1, x64. 8gb memory, intel 510 solid-state drive, Nvidia Quadro 1000 and Intel HD Graphics 3000, No-Anti-Virus and running zone-alarm firewall.

The attached zip file contains
3 dump-files
3 Windbg analysis-files
cpuz and Rammon screen-shots
BlueScreenView screen-shot

Any help in analyzing the dumps and providing direction/clue towards a resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

kaos

hi

according to the information you have provided it does relate to the Nvida drivers, the main not_less_than_equal error can be caused by the fact the old drivers wasnt removed correctly or the fact the ones you have installed didnt also install correctly

so plan of action :)

Download Driver Sweeper, and make sure you have removed all the Nvidia drivers, ensure you have the latest ones installed

( the link is in the top of the BSOD forum, under , antivirus and software removal, near the top of the page )
also the error can occour if you have recently installed new software i.e a webcam,fancy mouse,

I was using BlueScreenView to look at the minidumps. That program was saying - caused by driver - tcpip.sys.
Thanks for looking at the minidumps I uploaded kaos. I will follow your suggestion/first steps to try. I don't have any fancy usb mouse etc.

After the post I noticed that lenovo had a new nvidia driver on their website. After using Driver Sweeper to clean out nvidia driver, I will install the nvidia-drivers from lenovo website (ver 8.17.12.6871). Nvidia website has the latest/greatest (ver 8.17.12.7533) but if the one from lenovo works and is stable (without BSOD), I will stick with the slightly older version from laptop-vendor-website.

I will report back shortly if using driver-sweeper+reinstall of nvidia solved my frequent BSOD problem.

kaos

excellent, good luck!

Just wanted to provide an update of the issue.
Before I reinstalled the OS, I tried Nvidia Drivers (ver6696, ver6802, ver6871 and ver 7533) each time doing a clean Drive-sweeper of nvidia stuff. It did not help the situation. I tried uninstalling any components/traces of AVG and any components/traces of Zonealarm using their respective uninstall/cleaning tools. I was still getting BSODs at least twice a day.

I ended up reinstalling the OS and I am running Nvidia drivers ver 6802. It has been a few days since reinstall and no BSOD...yet :) After the reinstall I did not install AVG antivirus and Zonealarm firewall. I went with built-in windows firewall and windows essentials. Maybe AVG and or Zonealarm was the problem and nvidia-drivers were the "innocent" bystanders during the crash (nvidia-drivers just happened to be loaded in the stack when the system crashed but they did not cause the crash)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.