Windows 7 BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION on ntoskrnl.exe

RubinCompServ

Hey everyone. Looks like I've finally gotten the "3B" BSOD that seems to be making its rounds. Unfortunately, in my case, nothing has changed on the system, except location (I moved, and transported my machine with me). I've opened up the system and physically reseated everything to ensure that there were no problems there. Although this also happens randomly, I can consistently force it to happen by crashing "Magic DVD Copier" (a DVD copier that I've been using on this system for over a year with no issues).

Every time it happens, the screen freezes for a couple of seconds, I get weird colored lines across the display for half a second, and then the BSOD hits me. My computer is up-to-date on Windows updates, and I also updated my video drivers after this started occurring (to no avail). At this point, it's time to swallow my ego and ask for help.

Help? Please?

All the best,
RCS

Attachments

• W7F_21-10-2012.zip
    342.9 KB · Views: 341
It was caused by the pcouffin driver, probably part of a CD/DVD burner program installed on your computer.
If you need any additional help you have to follow the BSOD posting instructions.

fffff880`0586b000 fffff880`0587f380 pcouffin Tue Dec 05 15:39:30 2006 (457584A2)

It was caused by the pcouffin driver, probably part of a CD/DVD burner program installed on your computer.
If you need any additional help you have to follow the BSOD posting instructions.

fffff880`0586b000 fffff880`0587f380 pcouffin Tue Dec 05 15:39:30 2006 (457584A2)

Thank you for responding. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I missed anything in my post. My ZIP file contained the result from the W7F Diagnostic Tool, the screenshots from CPU-Z, and the HTML from RAMMon. What did I miss?

Tobias,

You're brilliant. Even without the detailed analysis, just telling me that it was pcouffin.sys pointed me in the right direction, and I found a removal tool here: Tool to completely uninstall a VSO Software product : Extra Tools and how-to's. Once I ran that, my "tried and true" method of reproducing the BSOD, didn't. It's still too early to be certain, but it looks hopeful that the situation has been resolved. I will keep you updated either way.

cheers,
RCS

(P.S. What do you use to analyze minidumps?)

RubinCompServ - you are also brilliant!
I've been looking for a link to remove that software for years - and here you've found it!
Thank you so very much. I've added it to the DRT here: Driver Reference Table - pcouffin.sys and credited you with the find!

Thanks!

Back