Windows 8 BSOD...

scarabaphile

I keep getting a BSOD when I start up (well actually the screen goes back and forth from black to grey) and then eventually an error message appears which says that windows is gathering information about the problem and will restart, and that there is "critical structure corruption"... However, when it restarts, the same thing happens.

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, running windows 8 release preview.

What should I do?????

Thanks in advance,
Jody Anderson.

Interesting. It would seem that you are not getting the much touted albeit a bit confusing automatic failover "Advanced Boot Menu Options"
And to take this even further, we’ve removed even this one remaining keystroke by automatically loading the boot options menu when there is no way to successfully complete Windows startup.

In Windows 8, this automatic failover behavior will take you directly to the boot options menu whenever there is a problem that would otherwise keep your PC from loading Windows. This even includes cases where it appears (to Windows) that boot has succeeded, but in actuality the PC is unusable.
SOURCE: Designing for PCs that boot faster than ever before - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Try interrupting the auto restart yourself by either hitting the reset button if available or holding down the power button until the PC shuts down and then reboot and see if you get the advanced menu options.

Otherwise you will need to either boot to the Recovery Environment using a Windows 8 Repair Disk or the Installation Media.
Select your keyboard layout
And then try some of the options available to you from within the Recovery Environment.
Windows Startup Settings (if available) should allow you to boot into safemode (fingers crossed)
The Troubleshooting Option supports some other advanced options like
Advanced Options:
System Restore .... this may help, assuming that you have managed to start the system successfully in the past and something you have done in the interim has cause your difficulties.
System Image Recovery..... provided you have had the foresight to create a previous Image
Automatic Repair..... similar to Startup Repair, maybe useful if there is corruption with respect to boot files.
Command Prompt.... some more advanced options with respect to addressing more advanced and consequently more complicated repairs using tools like bootrec.exe, bcdedit, chkdsk, etc.,
You may also wish to consider other recovery options if available like
Refresh
OR
Reset
Here's a pretty good link that goes through most of your options in some better detail Repair your computer in Windows 8 | www.winhelp.us

One more option which I tested today, with an eye toward options to reliably evoking the advanced startup menu options that include Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking.]
Boot to either a repair disk or your install media, depending on which your use the initial steps are a bit different but your goal is to get into Repair-> Troubleshoot-> Advanced Options-> Command Prompt
Once there simply type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
hit enter
You should see "The Operation has completed successfully" or words similar to that.
Then exit and reboot
Now the F8 key will magically work again. So tap the F8 key as the machine is rebooting and you should see the options. Use the arrow keys to select safe mode and see if your machine will boot.

To undo the above.... from an elevated command prompt simply type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

NOTE: Squiggly brackets around default. Not normal parenthesis nor square brackets.
Keep us posted as to how you are getting along.
Regards
Randy

I have often found that T/S weird problems often is more time consuming than a complete reinstallation of the OS, especially in a beta environment. BSOD quite often indication a basic system corruption. I suppose a Reset, or perhaps a Refresh could help, but it seems these alternatives are slower than simply reinstalling. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I have seen time after time in another Win 8 Forum where reinstallations fix these problems. A problem that you might work on for days can often be fixed in a couple hours.

Once you get a pristine installation that is working correctly, create an Image to allow quick and easy restoration should that become necessary.

Back