Windows 10 Build 10122

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Anyone else end up with a messed up Start Menu.
I had to do a full shut down and then start up to get any visible tiles, and....
Now they all look a bit like they were create for a very old video game circa pre-PacMan.

I will let you know if I ever get it to install. Said it was 100% downloaded and then started checking for updates. It then downloaded to updates for windows defender and now is starting to download all over again.

Good luck Sonny.
Not sure you are going to be too happy with this build though.
I've done an update / upgrade and a clean install from ISO the clean install of course is the least buggy but the New and Improved Start Menu leaves a lot to be desired.

I am not very comfortable with it right now and I am not even close to see what it looks like yet.

OH, it looks alright.
Some of the stuff that seemed to not work before seems to work fine now (the People app comes to mind).
But you can't maximize the start menu on the fly any more. You can still resize it vertically and you can choose to have it "Full Size" from the personalization / start, settings (while in desktop, which I suppose is a nod to mobile devices and two in ones) and may make some people who were missing the old Windows 8 Start Screen.
My main and actually only gripe (on the clean install), is the way that the shortcuts from my applications (like word, excel, outlook, etc.,) that I choose to "pin to start" do not seem to render there, in the same quality that the native tiles seem to.
I tried deleting iconcache.db and still no help.
Other than that a clean install seems to look decent.

My original Start Screen looked a little strange. It seems over time it repaired itself and now looks fairly normal.

I got the Bluetooth fixed and so far the Video seems to be as good as it was in 10074. Cortana seems to have the same problems it had in 10074.

Still getting 50 unknown devices, so it looks like the chipset drivers for an X99 motherboard have not been added to Windows 10 and ASUS has not yet posted any Windows 10 drivers.

I did not do a clean install, but installed over the top of a clean 10074 install.

It looks like the Surface Pro 3 folks are having heck with this upgrade......

Anyone else end up with a messed up Start Menu.
I had to do a full shut down and then start up to get any visible tiles, and....
Now they all look a bit like they were create for a very old video game circa pre-PacMan.

I had no problem with my tiles showing but did have my programs I tried adding to the start menu appear to be out of focus.

I just noticed something else. My network is showing as PUBLIC even though the IP address is in my Local network.

I don't remember being asked if the network was public or private....

On the Network & Internet settings, WiFi (and probably Ethernet) there is a setting "Find Devices and content" which seems to be a default setting of OFF. Maybe this is the same thing as the "Turn on File Sharing" notice we used to see in earlier builds... strange they did not ask if that was supposed to be ON.... The Advanced Sharing settings were already set to share on the private network, so I am not sure what is going on...

This may be just a glitch since I cannot find the setting now and it only happened on the machine I upgraded using the Flash Drive.

I just clicked on the Start Button and Cortana says "little bit" ... Since it had not yet spoken this morning that was a little surprising, but overall it is not working.

I also noticed the Wi-Fi Sense options. Is that new in 10122? I suppose it would be useful for meetings where one user already had a Hotspot set up. Possibly also if they were using something like a phone for a Wi-Fi Hotspot. I suppose something to keep in mind is this seems to be set to enabled by default and it sounds like it will connect to a recommend hotspot based on your location.

Another issue just popped up, literally... ;)

I am currently getting the notifications which slide in from the lower right of the screen. These notifications are Flash Flood warnings and I see I can stop notifications from a specific app. What if I want to just turn off the Flash Flood warning but still allow warnings for such things as Tornadoes... Is there a way?

I don't even know what App is giving the notifications since the Weather App is not currently running.

On the network setting being public, I called Microsoft and they said it was set that way for my convenience and that would be changed in July. I thought I understood him that is when the final Win 10 would be released. I did call my internet provider and he told me it didn't make a difference as long as I had a password to my internet connection which I do to protect me.

Is this really worth the time and effort to upgrade from 10074? It seems like they keep adding more bugs and ignore the existing one. If they intend to release in July they better start cleaning up the problems they already have.
Joe

Last edited:
I would be a little more concerned if I had a laptop and went to Starbucks or some other destination with a Hot Spot. The narrative on the settings does warn that not all Hot Spots are secure. If your system automatically joins a hot spot and you are not even aware, it could cause problems. But I can see the convenience the service would provide for some folks.

The situation you seem to be considering has been around for a while. You can probably left click a wireless icon and see all the networks available, and they can see you... The password and other precautions prevent anyone from joining yours.

Maybe if they change that default setting or ask while installing, it will help.

Is this really worth the time and effort to upgrade from 10074?
Not really as far as I can tell.
Especially not via update / upgrade.
The custom clean install does seem to behave a bit better but since there isn't a handy dandy ISO readily available you have to jump through extra hoops.

I guess I'll wait for them to release a new ISO again. Finding one on a torrent site is taking a gamble on any additions some clown may have added.
Joe

"Unfortunately, it's taking longer than usual"

This update went on from 8.00 pm into the night - did not stay up. Next morning, after a reboot, during the install, this English message in my Dutch version, popped up. An untranslated and new message?

Has MS changed / speeded up the install procedure?

But for now build 10122 is up and running looking good....

Added:
- Cortana on taskbar is dead,
- Virtual Desktops are dead
- Can't add new items to startmenu
- Translations are not finished (or braindead:: 'Feedback app' translated in 'Misbruik-app', that means abuse app or misuse app LOL)

This build is fun!

Last edited:
Back