Windows 7 C Drive no more visible

Mangal

I just installed WIndows 7 Ultimate RTM on my machine.
My hardisk has several partitions.

The primary partiton is C. But it was of only 10GB, so I decided to install the Windows 7 on D drive.
Everything is done smoothly except that, after the installation the i can't see my C drive. And all other partition's names are changed by 1 name previous to name..like D becomes E and E becomes D.

I used to do the same previously for Windows XP...installing windows on D, and I was still able to see and use the C drive.

What should I do now?

Well I know, ideal case would be installing on C.. but currenlty bcoz of lack of space(all other partitions are quite full) and having no backup drive, I can't rearrange the sizes of partition for some time.

Last edited:
the partition you installed seven on will become C:\ when you boot into seven. the easiest way to identify which drive is your old C:\(now probably D:\) is to look at the size in computer.

How big is your new D:/ maybe it would be better to post a screenshot of disk mangement your old partitions are still there you just have to sort out your new drive letters as they all change when you boot into an OS since the OS is ALWAYS on C:/. If your dual booting it may be easier to boot into your old OS and name you partitions with a logical name which will stay the same even though the letter has changed.

If you performed an upgrade a 10GB hidden boot partition is created and not shown in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.

The only way to remove it is to perform a "clean" install after formatting the drive you're installing to.

If you performed an upgrade a 10GB hidden boot partition is created and not shown in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.

The only way to remove it is to perform a "clean" install after formatting the drive you're installing to.

It's taken awhile Reg to sort out what the OP needs and it seems that a 10 GB partition that existed under XP(?) now can not be found under 7 the OP chose to not install to this partition and now can't find it. In my experience (yours is far greater) this partition can not have just disappeared it just changed drive letters if i'm incorrect please correct me.

Maybe a screen shot of Disk Management would help

Mangal, please for to Start > Run, and type diskmgmt.

Drag the corners to make if fully viewable, then hit the Alt + PrtScrn key.

Attach that to this post for us to look over.

Back