Windows 7 Can anyone help me understand whats going on here?

Raikyu

Hello all :)

Today I turned on my PC as normal (it shut down fine last night, no new installations of anything or any new hardware etc) and windows startup repair popped up saying my computer cannot start. So I let it finish and it said "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" so I restarted my PC to see if it still didn't start but it started as normal and i'm on it now no problems...so I am wondering why it did that and if there is some problem with my PC?

Oh and a few month ago windows boot manager came up when I turned on my PC aswell so I just selected windows 7 and it was fine just like normal and has never showed up since.

Would really appreciate any info on why this happened as my PC seems to be fine now but this worries me as the PC is less than 6 months old and I built it myself.

System specs:
RAM: 8gb corsair vengeance
Hard drive: 1TB Western Digital (Black)
GPU: MSI Gtx 580 twin frozr II OC
CPU: intel core i5 2500k @ 3.30ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P

I got many Windows Updates yesterday. Could it be related to that?

Hey, thanks for your reply. I havent installed any new windows updates in a while so I dont believe so

Might be an indication of either a faulty or failing system drive or corruption of system files.
Backup you critical data.
Use the native disk check utility to check your system disk
Launch an elevated command prompt (StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, right click it and choose Run As Administrator) and type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter and answer Yes “Y” when prompted and reboot.
Let it run all five stages. When complete check the log file in Event Viewer for results (Click the StartOrb and type event viewer and hit enter, expand Windows Logs and highlight / select Application, click Action on the menu bar and select Find and type chkdsk and hit enter.
Use the native System File Checker to check your OS files.
Launch an elevated command prompt (StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, right click it and choose Run As Administrator) and type
sfc /scannow
Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Might be an indication of either a faulty or failing system drive or corruption of system files.
Backup you critical data.
Use the native disk check utility to check your system disk

Use the native System File Checker to check your OS files.

Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Hey Randy, thanks for the reply. Is a faulty or failing system drive or corruption of system files the only possible problem? My hard drive is less than 5 months old so if it's failing already that would be ridiculous (not saying that's not the problem though).

I will be trying what you suggested shortly and i'll let you know what the results are.

Back