Windows 7 Can connect to network, but not to internet (Wireless) - Win7 x64

Sanchez

I'm having a connection issue with my new computer running Windows 7 Professional x64. When I first set it up, the wireless connection worked flawlessly, and then the next day the internet cut out and has not connected since (currently 2 days). Note that I can still connect to the Network, it is just the internet connection that is the issue. Other computers and devices can still connect to the network and internet, and as a temp fix I am using a wired connection to the same router.

My router is a Dynalink RTA1025W Rev2 using WPA2-Personal security, and my computer has a 802.11n Wireless LAN Card.

I have searched through many forum threads, and tried the following suggestions:
  • Release / Renew the IP
  • Flushing the DNS
  • Creating a static IP address
  • Updating the wireless driver
  • Uninstalling / re-installing the network card / driver
  • Resetting the modem/router
  • Resetting the computer
  • Disabling the firewall
  • Changing the security type (tried WEP and none)
  • System restoring the computer
  • Wiping the computer back to it's original state
I've probably tried a couple more things that have now slipped to the back of my mind in the many hours of frustration which I have encountered. None of the above have worked, even temporarily.

I have also attempted to connect to a neighbor's unsecured wireless network, however I was also unsuccessful with that.

If anyone can offer any further suggestions or help to my situation it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm quite stuck and am unsure on how to resolve. If you need more just let me know and I will be happy to provide it.

Two things you can try here, first, check to make sure that the wireless function is turned on. Generally a key on the laptop in the top row. Second; try updating the wireless driver from PC makers website.

Sorry, forgot to mention it's a desktop not laptop. The wireless adapter is definitely engaged and functioning. I've tried updating the driver already online and via the original install disk but still not luck.

Any other suggestions?

Hi

What you describe is often a sign of malware.

If you haven't all ready done this...

Run Malwarebytes and make sure you don't have some kind of Malware.

Next go to your lan setting and make sure that it is set to "Automatically Detect Settings".

Many Malware attacks will change this to a specific Proxy Server which stops it from connecting to anything that you want to connect to.

It seems like resetting the computer would have fixed this but it's worth a shot.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion, though I have scanned already, and also tried a system restore and resetting it back to it's original state...

I've double checked the LAN setting, and it's definitely set to "Automatically Detect Settings".

At this stage I think I'll just be taking it back to the computer shop I bought it from to see if they can help.

I am sure the shop can sort it, but, " The wireless adapter is definitely engaged and functioning" But is it? Isn't that your query?

You could try and manualy change the IP address and gateway - I had the same problem at one point and this sorted it out.

Basher

I've reset the router to factory settings, and now the internet seems to be working ok... I'll see how it goes from here. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom