Can I do a repair installation without internet access so unable to get install updates?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Happy100, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Happy100

Happy100 New Member

I'm running win 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, which has been fine up to a few days ago when on start up reaching the desktop I started getting a window saying "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute." it would then restart and continually loop this way.

I booted to safe mode and had no restart message, so was able to run a virus scan using Microsoft security essentials, however if I booted to safe mode with networking the restart window would show again.

I have looked for the Gbp Service, which I was advised might be causing the problem, but cannot find this in services running.

However, I have found that by discounting the internet, the restart issue does not show, but as soon as I connect to the internet, it pops up and the system restarts.

It has ben suggested to me that I try a system restore and if that doesn't work a repair installation.

• System restore failed on multiple restore points.

So my main question is with a repair Installation: as I cannot connect to the internet, will I have a problem with the repair installation not being able to get the latest updates for the installation process?

Many thanks

Happy.

2. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Extraordinary Member

Hello,

For your question if the Repair install is successfully the you can install the Updates. I don't think you would have any problems to perform Repair install without Internet connection. Regarding your problem i suspect it might be some kind of Malware infection. Download Malwarebytes in some other Computer move the EXE to your System and install it run a complete scan. Also reboot the System in Selective Startup Run Selective Startup using System Configuration

Good Luck,
    Captain

3. cybercore

cybercore New Member

Have you tried as outlined here ? You can also start the command prompt to type and run sfc /scannow.

4. Happy100

Happy100 New Member

Hi Guys

The problem is now fixed, after trying all the things suggested (thank You!), I created a Windows Repair CD and booted to this, this then allowed me to do a System Restore, but this advised it had failed, however after restarting the restore had actually worked? Thus removing the restart alert and allowing me to connect to the internet.

I ran further virus and spyware scans, no virus's found, but there were a few spyware, which were successfully cleaned.

System now in perfect working order again! :)

Thank you again everyone!

Happy.