Can I hide a specific filetype from being displayed in Explorer?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Tutorials' started by SteveMann, Oct 8, 2010.

1. SteveMann

SteveMann Well-Known Member

Can I hide a specific filetype from being displayed in Explorer?

For instance, I have an application that makes many .ecx files. I need the files, or more specifically the program needs the files, but I don't need to see them.

Any ideas?

2. cybercore

cybercore New Member

If the files of a certain extension are not different each time after running the application, you can make them hidden.
    (Right click on them -> Properties -> General tab -> Check 'hidden')

1 person likes this.
  3. SteveMann

SteveMann Well-Known Member

First, it doesn't make the file hidden, it just grays out the icon. To make it disappear under this scenario I would have to enable "hide system files", which introduces other problems. (Show system files and show file extensons are the first things I change in ant Windows installation). Second, I have to do this to every one of my files - there's no global ability. I know I can select a bunch of files and change the properties on all of them, but what about those files with the same extension on other folders or drives? That's more work than it's worth.

Good try, though.

1 person likes this.
  4. cybercore

cybercore New Member

If you ever figure out how to hide files by extensions, please let us know. This can be possible with certain software that so far I'm not familiar with.