Windows 7 Can no longer boot from CD

kshaff03

My XP installation went bad on my laptop, so I though if I was going to reinstall windows, I might as well use Windows 7 (i'm using it on my desktop already). My laptop would no longer boot due to a corrupted Windows file. I installed Windows 7 today. The install went fine, booted from CD, installed windows 7, etc. It then rebooted and then I recieved a status 0xc00000e9 "Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt." Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm having some hardware issues.

I decided I would try another reinstall. I would go ahead and try to reinstall windows XP again. Problem is, I can't get the laptop to boot from CD anymore. I didn't make any changes in the BIOS after installing windows 7 from CD. I thought my disk might be bad, so I tried another XP CD, tried to boot Windows 7 CD and even a Ubuntu live CD. None of these would boot. Double checked boot order in BIOS and even disabled the hard disk from the BIOS boot menu.

I have a Dell 600m. BIOS is Pheonix v A14. Any ideas?

i had that for me desktop

i had to recover windows xp, complete new install, but thats cause iv got a hidden partition on me hard drive which i can boot into
then install 7

strange one that

i did a format then a new installation to go from vista to Windows 7 with no errors.

So i can't really see that being the problem here

To get a PC to boot from CD, keep pressing C while its in the early stages of boot up

You need to completely wipe your hard drive of all previous operating systems and perform a "clean" install.

It's older drivers that are probably causing your errors.

I can't even get that far

Thanks for the suggestions. The thing is I can't even get that far. My BIOS won't boot from the DVD drive at all for me to do a reinstall. I had a thumb drive with Ubuntu on it and I was able to boot into that.

Its not possible for windows7 to effect how the BIOS boots from CD is it? This should all happen before any Windows drivers are even loaded. Its almost as if my DVD drive is no longer working. I have a hard time believing that though because I was able to install windows 7 just two days ago.

Last edited:
Back