Windows 7 Can No Longer Upload Large Files

Jodie

I usually send clients large images around 4Mb via the email. I also upload to various sites, files up to 15Mb. They are all usually jpeg or .psd format.

For some reason it just doesn't work anymore - they get so far and seem to just hang. I contacted my ISP provider and they went through all their trouble shooter but told me that the problem is my end.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. I have tried IE9 and Google Chrome but neither helps. I use Microsoft Security Essential. I have tried turning off the firewall but this doesn't work either.

Smaller versions of the jpegs seem to upload OK. I haven't done anything to change what I am using recently other than to run the automatic updates.

I have internet satellite using an ipstar modem. No router.

I am not sure what else to add other than Please Help :(

Before I start giving solutions, I don't want to give the same ones your ISP gave you so can you list the things you tried with them? (As many as you can remember). Also, what is your modem model?

What steps did you take already with your ISP to try and resolve this?

Can you send them to yourself?

Anything in common with the clients you send the files to, might their mailboxes be full?

What steps did you take already with your ISP to try and resolve this?

The ISP provider is never much help - all they did was a speed test at 2 different sites which were both fine. I tried uploading an image to a website while she was on the line but it got to 95% and just hung there as usual. Then she told me that everything was working correctly her end and that it was be an issue with my PC. The site that I tried uploading reported that they had no issues and other members were able to upload fine.

Can you send them to yourself?

Anything in common with the clients you send the files to, might their mailboxes be full?

No - I don't think this is the issue because it's not just email, it happens when I use Dropbox, YouSendit and other photographic based websites that I upload to. Small files seem to work fine but I need to send high res images suitable for print and publication. I haven't tried emailing to myself but I will give it a go when I get home from work tonight.
I was thinking that it might be related to the updated version of Java or even a Microsoft security update that clashes? It seems the internet is full of the same question but I am finding it difficult to find a rememdy. I am considering just backing everything up and just re-installing Windows 7 then just switching off any automatic updates. I'd rather do this as a last resort but if it's Windows 7 related then there should be a fix.

Give this a try:

Download and install FireFox.

Try uploading with these sites:

(Up to 2GB per file - no file limitation - no registration)
https://www.wetransfer.com/

(Up to 200MB per file - no registration)
Jumbomail | sending big files | transfer large files | send big email

Are you using the Dropbox software or the Dropbox site?
What is the file size that you are trying to upload?

Hi Zvit,
I tried the "Wetransfer" and I got to about 30% of a 7Mb file and it would start over again. Didn't manage to upload.

When I hit start on Jumbomail I only get a box with error written in it - no error code or anything just the word.

I use the Dropbox software. Ocassionaly I can get one to go through. Mostly they sit and say they have 1 minute left and it doesn't work, the time gets longer and goes back to around a minute. It does this until I decide to close Dropbox.

The average size of files are around 4-8 Mb can on occasions are 15-30 Mb

I got the same result as above when using Firefox too.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you tried the obvious things like to reset your modem (usually with a reset button on the back), unplug modem from power and re-power, restart computer?

For how long was this working for you and when did it stop working? Did you try to restore your system to a date is was working?

I'm researching as you answer.

I'm assuming you tried the obvious things like to reset your modem (usually with a reset button on the back), unplug modem from power and re-power, restart computer?

For how long was this working for you and when did it stop working? Did you try to restore your system to a date is was working?

I'm researching as you answer.

Thanks again Zvit, I had tried all these option but still not uploading. I first noticed it not working weeks agao but at the time I didn't realise anything was wrong - I simply thought I had gone over my data quota from my ISP - it then slows to 56K dial up speed. Then when my new month clicked over I realised that it was a problem. Unfortunately my restore points only go back about 1 week - I tried the restore just the same.

I have also tried all 3 options in the above doc. The only uploads that seem to work atm are now via Dropbox - at least that is something :) I have just sent my self an email with a jpeg attachment and I shall see if that works.
I have tried rolling back to an older version of Java to.

Note: The email to self didn't work - I just got part of the image in a grey box. It didn't even arrive in the same format it left (jpeg)
When I got it back the attachment had been renamed to "att11B1.tmp"

Last edited:
Right click "My Computer", Goto properties\Device Manager\Network Adaptors. Double click on your adapter and click on "Advanced" tab. In the property window, look for "Speed and Duplex". Click on it and tell me what it says in the Value box on the right.

Also, what is your Internet speed provided by your ISP?

Also, do you connect via telephone company or cable or is it just the satellite?

Last edited:
Anything in the Event Viewer that might give some indication of a problem, probably a warning or info entry?

If you ISP drops you to 56K, could prior uploads be stuck in the system? If there was a backlog somewhere, ISP or your machine, it might slow things down.

You might try running a tracert to one of your upload locations and see if any large delays are showing up.

Could the source of the files be a problem?

Do you have an anti-virus that checks the files as you upload them? I know some can check inbound and outbound traffic. I don't see it in MSE, but just in case you have something else running.

I would probably try uninstalling and reinstalling my network adapter.

I also like to open Task Manager and watch the Networking tab during transfers to see what speeds are being used.

Right click "My Computer", Goto properties\Device Manager\Network Adaptors. Double click on your adapter and click on "Advanced" tab. In the property window, look for "Speed and Duplex". Click on it and tell me what it says in the Value box on the right.

Also, what is your Internet speed provided by your ISP?

Also, do you connect via telephone company or cable or is it just the satellite?

The "Speed & Duplex" value box says "Auto Negotiation"
My ISP provides 512Kbps/256Kbps
I only connect via satellite as I am limited to services due to my location

Ok great. Click on the drop-down box and tell me if you see your speed there. If you do, change it to your speed, restart the modem and computer and try. If not, tell me what speeds are there.

Anything in the Event Viewer that might give some indication of a problem, probably a warning or info entry?

If you ISP drops you to 56K, could prior uploads be stuck in the system? If there was a backlog somewhere, ISP or your machine, it might slow things down.

You might try running a tracert to one of your upload locations and see if any large delays are showing up.

Could the source of the files be a problem?

Do you have an anti-virus that checks the files as you upload them? I know some can check inbound and outbound traffic. I don't see it in MSE, but just in case you have something else running.

I would probably try uninstalling and reinstalling my network adapter.

I also like to open Task Manager and watch the Networking tab during transfers to see what speeds are being used.

Hi Saltgrass,
I had a look at the Event viewer but to be perfectly honest, I haven't a clue what it all means.:redface:
I don't think prior uploads are stuck in the system. I am also not sure what a tracert is or how to do one.
I don't see how the source of the files would be a problem. They are all jpegs of photos that I have taken myself. They are all stored in folder in "My Pictures" - if the location was the problem then surely I would have had troubles uploading since I own this machine?
I only have MSE - I'm not running any other anti-virus at the same time.
I have just uninstalled and re-installed the network adapter but it still failed to upload.
I have also tried while the Firewall is turned off

Ok great. Click on the drop-down box and tell me if you see your speed there. If you do, change it to your speed, restart the modem and computer and try. If not, tell me what speeds are there.

Um - all I see in the drop down box is the following:
10 Mbps Full Duplex
10 Mbps Half Duplex
100 Mbps Full Duplex
100 Mbps Half Duplex
Auto Negotiation.

I don't know which one to chose - it is all double dutch to me

Back
Top Bottom