Windows 7 Can not get two computers to the same homegroup but can ping them

charliecharlie

Hi,

I have two computers running Windows 7 Ultimate. They both connect via a Router, one wirelessly and one wired. They are both on the same workgroup but I cannot for the life of me get them to network with each other, either via opening up Explorer or by connecting them both to the same homegroup. I can however ping them. I have turned on the options in advanced sharing settings for network discovery and file printer sharing but I just can't get them to see each other!

I did have VMWare installed on one machine but have since installed it. Apart from that, I have no other software I can think of that will interfere.

Any clues?!

Hi,

I have two computers running Windows 7 Ultimate. They both connect via a Router, one wirelessly and one wired. They are both on the same workgroup but I cannot for the life of me get them to network with each other, either via opening up Explorer or by connecting them both to the same homegroup. I can however ping them. I have turned on the options in advanced sharing settings for network discovery and file printer sharing but I just can't get them to see each other!

I did have VMWare installed on one machine but have since installed it. Apart from that, I have no other software I can think of that will interfere.

Any clues?!
charliecharlie:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
I assume that you mean they are are both connected to the same router (LAN side wireless / switch ports). Otherwise if there are multiple routers involved (two separate collision domains) NetBIOS is not routeable unless you poke holes to forward the appropriate ports and protocol. So....
Now assuming it is the same router, check and confirm that both are on the same subnet, then ping by IP address and then by NetBIOS name (machine name) in both directions and then examine the NetBIOS name cache on both computers to confirm that each are listed, use a command prompt and type
nbtstat -c
If this is successful you should be able to see both machines in explorer/network
If you cannot ping either machine by name then you likely have either a third party firewall product or a third party internet security suite that is inhibiting the passing of NetBIOS information.
Consider removing (uninstalling) any such third party product using the control panel's programs and features applet and follow that up by the vendor specific proprietary removal tool, a list of some can be found here http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/50402-removal-tools-antivirus-software-drivers.html if yours is not in the list try to find it using Google.
Consider replacing with the windows built in firewall product and MSE Link Removed due to 404 Error
Keep in mind that even the built in windows firewall can produce this problem if you have made any customization or have chosen to "Restore Defaults" because the default windows firewall behavior is to "Deny" this type of traffic. So you may want to test by even turning off the Windows Firewall temporarily for testing.
Good luck and keep us posted
Regards
Randy

Hi, I can ping them both using the IP address and computer names. But still can't see them via Network or Explorer.

Very very confusing!

Back
Top Bottom