Windows 7 Cannot access other computer in home network running Windowx XP

tbremeyer

I used to be able to access the shared folders of my Windows XP computer from my Windows 7 laptop, but not anymore. Printing also stopped working.

The computers are connected through Powerline networking (running through the power cables).
I can see the other computer in the Windows 7 explorer under Network. When I click on the other computer, it askes me for my username and password.
Both the Windows 7 and the Windows XP computer are on the same Workgroup. The strange thing is that in the Windows Security dialog for the network connection it tries to connect to a different workgroup having the same name as the laptop.
For example if I had named my computers ComputerA (7) and ComputerB (XP) and the Workgroup "WorkgroupXY", the Windows Security dialog accessing ComputerB would try to login to Workgroup "ComputerA".

Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this problem?

Thank you

Not sure but I think you are confusing the prompt dialog box. It requires a MachineName\UserName and a password for that user on that machine. The workgroup name since it's common to all machines is not part of the username password prompt dialog box.
A common username and password on ComputerA (with appropriate share and ntfs permissions, that is identical to the username and password on ComputerB should help to overcome this issue.
Also blank passwords can be a problem. Attempting to access network resources with a user account that has no password will often fail the login.

User with same Name and Password did not solve it

WindowsSecurity..PNG

I did try your suggestion with the same user name and password, but it did not change anything for me.
To show you what I mean, I attached the Windows Security screen shot.
"bremeyer" is the name of the computer I try to connect to. "ASUS" is the name of the computer I am connecting from. The Domain name is not ASUS however.

Any other idea how to solve this?

I suspect that the issue maybe that you are not able to share files or folders on a Windows 7, domain member computer with computers outside the domain (home groups / workgroups, like bring your laptop from work home). This seems to be a new security feature built into Windows 7, I'm still trying to find the definitive documentation on this "so called" feature. It seems to be widely discussed on the internet but I'm trying to find the Microsoft Documentation, it seems that a domain joined computer will be able to access other computers on a homegroup / workgroup network, but for security reasons those same computers, will not be able to access it's shares (if any).

View attachment 5975

I did try your suggestion with the same user name and password, but it did not change anything for me.
To show you what I mean, I attached the Windows Security screen shot.
"bremeyer" is the name of the computer I try to connect to. "ASUS" is the name of the computer I am connecting from. The Domain name is not ASUS however.

Any other idea how to solve this?
If you type
bremeyer\UserNameOnTheBremeyerMachine (a known good username on that machine) and then
P@$$w0rd (the password for that username on the bremeyer machine, (account must have a password)
what happens....that's the exact prompt that I receive (of course with different machine names) and using the machinename\username and password for the machine that I'm trying to connect to always results in a successful logon. You may try typing the password that you are using into notepad just to make sure that you're not having some type of keyboard issue.
EDIT: and of course make sure you are using a backslash and not a forward slash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom