Windows 7 Cannot access WHS via Windows Explorer using FTP

ericwish1

I have my laptop and desktop connected to a Windows Home Server and my laptop has always been able to make an FTP connection to it via windows explorer by ftp://servername.homeserver.com but when I try that on my desktop it opens google chrome (my default browser) and tell me to login but then never does. When I try opeing it up in IE it works fine but then when I try the option of opening the window in Windows Explorer it says that this ftp site cannot be opened. I have since used a third party FTP program but I don't want to have to resort to that.

What you refer to as a "third party ftp program" is presumably an ftp client program - which is the software designed for the job and is the preferred option compared with the mechanism whereby an internet browser designed primarily to use http offers a facility to support ftp. I'd recommend using an ftp client every time.

Well I am using Core FTP Lite and one of the annoying things is that I can only transfer 1 file at a time. I am also just confused why it stopped working in the first place. Do you have a better FTP program (free) that has more functionality?

I downloaded it and I also installed the server version on my server. But when I tried starting a session with it, I got this error.

Command: MLSD
Response: 425 Can't open data connection.
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I tried doing it with Core FTP and it works fine. But I have heard that Filezilla is good so I would like to make it work.

You're right - filezilla is good - depending on your setup you need to configure the client and server and also look at firewall settings - there's a comprehensive guide here with the client and server setup notes about half way down:

Network Configuration - FileZilla Wiki

Back