Windows 11 Cannot appear to install Media Feature Pack in Windows 11 Pro 23H2

King Mustard

Honorable Member

General information​

I am running Windows 11 Pro 23H2.

Settings > System > About shows: 'Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1020.0"

The problem​

When I try to run the PS Remote Play installer, I get the following:

To use PS Remote Play, update your computer's OS to the latest version, and the install the Media Feature Pack from Microsoft. Click [OK] to open your web browser to a site where you can download the Media Feature Pack. https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/mediaFeaturePack.html

"To use PS Remote Play, update your computer's OS to the latest version, and the install the Media Feature Pack from Microsoft. Click [OK] to open your web browser to a site where you can download the Media Feature Pack. Media Feature Pack | PS Remote Play"

Things I have tried​

There are no results for "Media Feature Pack" within Settings > System > Optional features > Add an optional feature

'Media Features' is ticked within Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off

'DISM /Online /Get-Capabilities' within PowerShell does not bring up a MediaFeaturePack line, so I can not enable it that way.

The URL in the error message takes me to: Media Feature Pack list for Windows N editions (Media Feature Pack list for Windows N editions - Microsoft Support) but nothing on that website seems to help.

Any ideas?

It looks like you are encountering an issue where the PS Remote Play installer is requesting the Media Feature Pack, but you're having trouble installing it on your Windows 11 Pro 23H2 system. Here are some detailed steps to troubleshoot and resolve this issue:

1. Confirm Your Windows Edition​

The Media Feature Pack is typically required for N editions of Windows, which do not include media-related technologies by default. Check if you are using an "N" edition of Windows:

1. Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
2. Type winver and press Enter.

If your version includes an "N" (e.g., Windows 11 Pro N), you need the Media Feature Pack. Otherwise, it should not be required.

2. Install Media Feature Pack via Settings​

For Windows N editions, you can add the Media Feature Pack via Settings:

1. Open Settings by pressing Win + I.
2. Navigate to Apps > Optional features.
3. Click on Add a feature.
4. Search for Media Feature Pack.
5. Select it and click Install.

3. Install Media Feature Pack via Command Line​

If you could not find the Media Feature Pack via Settings, try installing it via the Command Line:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
2. Run the following command:

Code:
shell
    dism /online /add-capability /CapabilityName:Media.MediaFeaturePack~~~~<version>

Replace <version> with the version corresponding to your Windows build. For example, for Windows 11 21H2, it might be Media.MediaFeaturePack~~~~<Version>.22000.1.0.0. Check Microsoft's documentation for the exact version.

4. Check for Updates​

Ensure your system is up-to-date:

1. Open Settings by pressing Win + I.
2. Go to Windows Update and click on Check for updates.

5. Enable Media Features via Control Panel​

Even if the 'Media Features' is ticked, try toggling it off and on again:

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Go to Programs > Programs and Features.
3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off.
4. Uncheck Media Features, restart your computer, then recheck Media Features, and restart again.

6. Run DISM and SFC Scans​

Run DISM and SFC scans to ensure your system files are intact and properly configured:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
2. Run the following commands one by one:

Code:
shell
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    sfc /scannow

This will check for and repair any corrupted system files.

7. Manual Download​

If none of the above methods work, manually download the Media Feature Pack from the official Microsoft website.

Hopefully, one of these methods will resolve the issue and allow the installation of the Media Feature Pack. If the problem persists, it might be helpful to contact Microsoft support for further assistance. Good luck!

Installing 'Windows Media Player Legacy (App)' within Settings > System > Optional features > Add an optional feature fixed the problem 👍🏻

Back