Windows 7 Cannot change Windows 7 Background.

argonil

Hello.

I woke up this morning, turned on my computer, and my wallpaper was black, which it wasn't the day before. Okay, I tried to change it, and I got the error message "This image can't be set as wallpaper. An internal error ocurred." Okay, I went into my regedit and wanted to see if NoChangingWallPaper had changed to 1 for some reason... It couldn't find it.
I tried to change my desktop under the Personalize feature, it could only change to plain colours, not any kind of picture.
I've also checked the Ease of Access center, to see if the hide wallpaper function was enabled, it wasn't. I've tried with other pictures, and I've tried moving it to another hard drive, and I've tried to change the type of the picture.
Nothing worked.

Can anyone solve my problem? :>

Thanks,

-Argonil.

Try running a system file checker.. Run the command prompt as administrator and type in:

sfc /scannow

Then hit enter, if it finds anything it will attempt to repair it..

Have a look and see if you have the wallpaper still stored. Windows - Web - Wallpaper. If they are all intact (in separate diectories) double click one and see if it will open. Right click any one and open it as your wallpaper and see if it works.

Tried it, didn't work. It couldn't find any errors.

Also, please read my entire post before replying. I already mentioned that, Rak.

Last edited:
I've just scanned my whole system with Uniblue Registry Booster, newest and registered version. It found alot of errors. I defragmented my pc, restarted, and checked if it worked. It didn't. I scanned again and it found 53 errors. It said it couldn't fix them, so, here is the latest scan result.

I know you said you might have done this, so don't fuss, but did you click on the original Windows desktop, the big windows logo. Mine went black one day and I just selected it and the others came back.

Make sure Aero is turned on, it may have been turned off if you used some utility that did not support it.

Aero is turned on, it can't change to the standard Windows wallpaper. I know that others have this problem as well, but on all the forums I've looked on, it hasn't been solved. You guys are really my last hope, please, put some effort into this, I really want to able to set wallpapers again.

But really, this is a hard nut to crack.

Last edited:
Tried it, didn't work. It couldn't find any errors.

Also, please read my entire post before replying. I already mentioned that, Rak.

My apologies. I could not see that in your op, but I now read " I've tried with other pictures", I guess that is what you meant.

Well, that thread doesn't solve my problem, even though it's about the same problem as I have. My windows is fully activated. Guess I'll just format my PC, that will definitly do the trick. I'll wait a day or two to see if you can figure this out.

I've seen this problem crop up time and again and I'm pretty sure a solution has never really been found other than a reformat so your probably going the only way forward?

Link Removed - Not Found

Go there. It worked for me hopefully it helps anyone out there with a similar issue.

Back