Windows 7 Cannot create homegroup

Morpheus

Hi everybody

I like to create a homegroup in my private network. For this i have 2 Computer, one completely new installed with windows 7 (Notebook), the other one updated from windows Vista (workstation) to windows 7.

On the workstation i'm not able to create a homegroupe. I always get some error messages with the red cross and 0x80630801. The reasons seems to be that required services are not started, like p2psvc (Peer network...), PNRPsvc (Peer Name Resoulution...) an PNRPAutoReg. On my notebook everything is ok and all services are started and i'm not able to start them manually.

Has anybody some ideas. The single input i received was to activate IPv6 but this was not a solution.

Thanks for help

Hi
Same here when i try to start these services i got dependency error on PNRPsvc and when i try to start this one i get this message:"system cannot find path specified" or smth like this. Any ideas

Hi
Same here when i try to start these services i got dependency error on PNRPsvc and when i try to start this one i get this message:"system cannot find path specified" or smth like this. Any ideas

I've read it somewhere but cannot recall the source now, that the ERROR: "Windows cannot set up homegroup on this computer" (Error code 0x80630801)can be due to the corruption of the file idstore.sst

The suggested solution was deleting that file (idstore.sst ) using admin privileges to edit system files

That Identity Store file path is usually
C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
To show the path you need to "unhide " system and protected files in Folder Options by
Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder Options> View > scroll down to the radio button and click and place the dot in (.) show hidden files , folders and drives
and uncheck\Untick the next 3 Check\Tick boxes []
Hope this helps.

Hi thanx for quick answer. I've deleted the file, restarted the system but still no luck enabling PNRPsvc service. Same error. I even replaced the file with a copy from freshly installed "7" from my desktop PC, but I'm sill getting same error message.

Hi thanx for quick answer. I've deleted the file, restarted the system but still no luck enabling PNRPsvc service. Same error. I even replaced the file with a copy from freshly installed "7" from my desktop PC, but I'm sill getting same error message.

I am sorry it did not help :-(

Can you see if you can manually start PNRPsvc through Computer Management
  • Right click Computer>Manage > Left Pane of Computer Management
  • Locate Computer Management [Local]
  • Scroll down to and expand + Services and Applications
  • Click Services
  • Go to Right Pane
  • Scrolldown to Peer Name Resolution Protocol and check the Status column and if it isnot seen "Started" , click on Peer Name Resolution Protocol to get a dialog box and under General tab you can locate Startup type: box with a down arrowhead for selection.
  • Look entries in the other tabs [LogOn, Recovery, Dependencies] and make a **Screen Capture for reference** in case changes made creat any unexpected problems and you want to get back to the current default :)
2. Since PNRPsvc has many Registry entries , I am suspecting it is from registry corruption. Can you do an SFC /sannow in Administrator Command prompt and see if that can fix the error.

I hope this helps to avoid a Repair or Reinstall.

AS you probably know, "Home group", until MS bring out aVista update, if ever, can only be utilised between computers running Windows 7.
I am guessing, but possibly an update is the problem. If it is convenient, you could go for a clean install on your second computer?

Hi everybody

I like to create a homegroup in my private network. For this i have 2 Computer, one completely new installed with windows 7 (Notebook), the other one updated from windows Vista (workstation) to windows 7.

On the workstation i'm not able to create a homegroupe. I always get some error messages with the red cross and 0x80630801. The reasons seems to be that required services are not started, like p2psvc (Peer network...), PNRPsvc (Peer Name Resoulution...) an PNRPAutoReg. On my notebook everything is ok and all services are started and i'm not able to start them manually.

Has anybody some ideas. The single input i received was to activate IPv6 but this was not a solution.

Thanks for help

Do you really need a homegroup to achieve what you want to achieve ? From a compatibility viewpoint it might be better to set up plain boring old shares and use other ancient stuff like Offline files and Sync as these are proven methods that are supported by a wider range of Microsoft operating systems than Homegroups. Bear in mind that Homegroup, at this point, only works on WIndows 7 and Windows 7 itself isn't really supported as yet.

Back