Windows 7 cannot double click on folders, my computer or control panel from desktop or start menu

udlooz

Hi all,

I have a wierd issue - I removed my laptop from a domain, because I left the company. Before doing so I created a new local profile, logged on, logged off, logged in as admin, copied everything but ntuser.dat stuff to the new profile, then removed laptop from domain.

Now when I log on my new profile, anything I double click on desktop items (folders or my computer) I get an error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" - If I right click and hit open, it works great...

Also - programs seem to open fine, just problems with folders and my computer. I also get the same error from the start menu.

I have tried removing my account as administrator and then restarting and making it administrator again. Removed my permissions and readded them - cant think of what else to do.

I did try taking ownership and resetting permissions first - those didnt help

so I figured out if I turn off UAC, the problem goes away - turn it back on and the problem comes back - is there a way to repair UAC?

Back