Windows 7 Cannot upgrade Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64

Scoundrelus

I'm having a strange dilemma. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 7 on my laptop and I'm getting two error messages that conflict:

"You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings."

and

"32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc."

I have Vista x64 but one thing I did notice is that I did have an x86 Program Files folder where my 32 bit applications go but that's about as far at it goes, my entire OS is x64 bit.

Does anyone have any insight?

Are you actually trying to upgrade and keep your old programs in place? I am sure you know most folks recommend doing this only if you really feel it is necessary.

If you are upgrading, I assume you are starting the upgrade from within Vista?

If you bought the software retail, there may be separate DVDs for the 64 and 32 bit versions, although some manufacturers seem to have a combined version.

Thanks for the reply, yes I am trying to keep the old programs in place. Only 2 were a conflict and they were only tertiary non-system things. Maybe I'll try disabling them.

Back