Windows 7 Cann't boot other OS (trying to dual boot)

SgtLimbo

I have Windows xp 64bit and windows 7 64bit both installed on same hdd but have it partitioned where they both have their own partition. I know im supose to be able to reboot and select my os i want to boot up in but when it reboots and starts back up all it does is go through the normal loading sections and passes the normal info of showing the dos that flashes at start (forgot what it was besides loading info). Every time now it will only load into Win XP and I cann't get back to load into my Win7. Can someone help me with being able to choose my os i wish to boot too. Thanks for any and all help on this issue.

I am assuming you are not totally knowledgeable with installation procedures? (Not rude, a friendly observation), so here is a detailed step by step procedure.

Nothing is 100% certain due to typos or whatever, so I would suggest you ensure you have a backup of your XP installation, or at least your private data, before proceeding.

To begin the Windows 7 Startup Repair process, you will need to boot from the Windows 7 DVD.
Watch for a Press any key to boot from CD or DVD
Press a key to force the computer to boot from the Windows 7 DVD. If you do not press a key, your PC will try to boot to the operating system that's currently installed on your hard drive. (XP in your case). If this happens, just restart your computer and try to boot to the Windows 7 DVD again.
No user intervention is required here. Just wait for the Windows 7 setup process to load files in preparation for whatever task you might want to complete. Here it's a Startup Repair but there are several tasks that could be completed with the Windows 7 DVD.
Note: No changes are being made to your computer during this step. Windows 7 is only temporarily "loading files."
Choose the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use in Windows 7.(As you must have done previously when you installed).
Click on the Repair your computer link on the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.
This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options which contains several useful diagnostic and repair tools, one of which is Startup Repair.
Note: Do not click on Install now. If you already have Windows 7 installed, this option is used to perform a Clean Install of Windows 7 or a Parallel Install of Windows 7.
System Recovery Options, the set of tools that contains Startup Repair, will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.
You don't need to do anything here but wait. This Windows installation search shouldn't take more than a few minutes at most.
Choose the Windows 7 installation to perform the Startup Repair on.
Click the Next button.
Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems with important Windows 7 files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with an important operating system file, the tool may suggest a solution of some kind that you have to confirm or may solve the problem automatically.
Whatever happens, follow the prompts as necessary and accept any changes suggested by Startup Repair.
Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with Windows 7 files. No user intervention is required during this step.
Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process. Do not boot from the Windows 7 DVD on any restart. If you do, you'll need to restart immediately so the Startup Repair process can continue normally.
Note: If Startup Repair did not find any problem with Windows 7, you won't see this step.
Click the Finish button once you see Restart your computer to complete the repairs window to restart your PC and start Windows 7 normally.
Important: It's possible that Startup Repair didn't fix whatever problem you were having. If the Startup Repair tool determines this itself, it may automatically run again after your computer restarts. If it does not automatically run but you're still seeing problems with Windows 7, repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

There is a small possibility that, having completed these steps successfully, you can now boot 7, but XP has vanished. Post back and someone here (or myself) will tell you how to get XP back again

There is a small possibility that, having completed these steps successfully, you can now boot 7, but XP has vanished. Post back and someone here (or myself) will tell you how to get XP back again

I have exactly this sympton (well, in my case it´s Vista that has vanished). So I am looking forward to your instructions. Thanks! :)

well i got it resolved. what i had to do was make sure winxp was installed (wich i used winxp pro 64bit) and then do all the updates needed for winxp 64bit. Then i had to reinstall win7 64bit and after that i was able to dual boot my system. Thanks for the help on the issue.

Back
Top Bottom