Windows 7 Cant boot into XP

anilthomas26

Hi,
I installed Win 7 first,then I installed Win XP.After that there isnt any OS choice(Win 7,Win XP),system goes directly to XP.So I repaired the boot using the repair option in the Win 7 DVD.Then I could go to Win 7. But I lost my XP.My current "boot.ini" file has

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

But there isnt any boot choice at startup.,the system goes directly to Win 7

This is usually a result of installing the OS's in the "wrong" order.. you should have installed XP first than Windows 7... You would have then had the boot manager pop up on startup.. however, not a huge deal, you should be able to still fix it.. ;) I would suggest using the program EasyBCD.. it is a very easy to use program for modifying the boot manager to your liking.. you can obtain it from here:

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

If you need some help using it, just let me know and I'd be glad to give ya some tips.. ;)

Windows Vista and 7 use BCDEdit, not Boot.ini.
If you download EasyBCD as Radenight said and reconfigure the boot with it, you shouldn't have any issue re-instating XP in the boot sequence.

You will probably have overwritten the Win 7 boot sector of the first HD/partition. The repair has replaced it, but wiped the needed info for the XP boot files.
You may need to transfer all the XP boot files( they should still be sitting there) to the XP partition manually, You can do this from 7. It should work then, after you have adjusted the boot manager with Easybcd. You may , however (worst case!) have to edit the boot.ini paths.

Back